Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 storage ??

Old 08-27-2009, 04:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

UtahRob

Where you live - i would not even worry about it. I live north of you and have never had any problems at all. T7 will absorb moisture but nothing like Pyro or real BP, in fact T7 has a clear coating on it that helps resist moisture. That is also why it needs more heat to ignite it. Some time just for an experiment, put some cold water in a small open container. Then gently pour in a partial spoon full of T7 - I will sink right to the bottom form an inverted cone and it will remain in that cone unitl it is is agitated, if you were to do the same thing with real BP or Pyro - you would produce a black sludge. If you had the time to wait for the water to evaporate and the powder to dry - you could shoot it..
Old 08-28-2009, 01:53 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
UtahRob

Where you live - i would not even worry about it. I live north of you and have never had any problems at all. T7 will absorb moisture but nothing like Pyro or real BP, in fact T7 has a clear coating on it that helps resist moisture. That is also why it needs more heat to ignite it. Some time just for an experiment, put some cold water in a small open container. Then gently pour in a partial spoon full of T7 - I will sink right to the bottom form an inverted cone and it will remain in that cone unitl it is is agitated, if you were to do the same thing with real BP or Pyro - you would produce a black sludge. If you had the time to wait for the water to evaporate and the powder to dry - you could shoot it..
sound like a very good powder !!

Yep its very dry here .
I get a lot of photos printed on canvas and stretched , but had to stop . I get them done in Texas and the very dry winters we have here made the frames warp but in the summer when i turn the swamp cooler on they straighten right back . They look great on the wall right now !! I had to remove most of them from the wood frames and then get the print mounted on foam and put into normal frames . I no longer get them stretched on wood . So yes it is very dry here , but that sure makes the winters not seem so cold !!!

Last edited by UtahRob; 08-28-2009 at 01:55 PM.
Old 08-28-2009, 02:28 PM
Fork Horn

I put three powders in cups of water and the 777 did way better than the Pyrodex but the 209 was amazing . Most of it floated and even after getting it to sink the water stayed 100 % clear , when i pored it onto a napkin it was still hard and looked like new .The Pyrodex turned the water black , the 777 slightly discolored . Still not going to back to BH209 , but it was impressive .

BH209 did not even discolor the napkin after removing it from the water and each grain/tube was still hard .

Old 08-28-2009, 05:05 PM
Boone & Crockett

UtahRob

The discoloration you see with T7 is the water soluable dye they add to the powder to make it black. T7 in its pure form is nearly white, but Hodg did not think the public would accept a 'white' black powder sub... esspecially after they said it really is a smokeless powder and the smoke is an added product also - bits of charcoal... hence you water discoloration
Old 08-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

T7 in its basic form is white and almost smokeless but not progressive; that why after you get to a certain amount of powder for a given caliber it will add to the pressure but not the velocity. That's because the powder that does not get burned in the barrel still adds weight just like the bullet does, they tried to get around that fact with the extended breach plug so the fire burns in both directions from the middle but I have heard complaints about the eroding barrels right where there fire starts. Lee
Old 08-29-2009, 05:27 AM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by sabotloader
UtahRob

The discoloration you see with T7 is the water soluable dye they add to the powder to make it black. T7 in its pure form is nearly white, but Hodg did not think the public would accept a 'white' black powder sub... esspecially after they said it really is a smokeless powder and the smoke is an added product also - bits of charcoal... hence you water discoloration
Thanks for the info !!
Old 08-29-2009, 01:59 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by UtahRob
Un- opened can how long will it keep ?? I have a safe i will keep it in down in our basement . I know my local wal mart will drop the price in November so i want to load up on it . I don't need much 3 cans will do .

Thanks ,
RobK or sometimes known as highpockets , a old nickname someone 5' tall gave me , i am 6'6'' . LOL
If you are really worried ,put the unopened container in a Food Saver bag and vacuum seal it.

Charlie
Old 08-29-2009, 05:44 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by Chasam60
If you are really worried ,put the unopened container in a Food Saver bag and vacuum seal it.

Charlie
I store all my powders, primers, and caps this way in the off season. Probably overkill but I have never had a problem.

Bob