Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

777 storage ??

Old 08-27-2009, 11:00 AM
Fork Horn

Default 777 storage ??

Un- opened can how long will it keep ?? I have a safe i will keep it in down in our basement . I know my local wal mart will drop the price in November so i want to load up on it . I don't need much 3 cans will do .

Thanks ,
RobK or sometimes known as highpockets , a old nickname someone 5' tall gave me , i am 6'6'' . LOL
Old 08-27-2009, 11:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

Rob,

Un- opened can how long will it keep ??
I have some really old T7 (5-7 years old) and I have never had a problem with it at all, it is always near the same velocity.

The keys for me are:
1. When I buy a bottle I always sqeeze very tightly to see if it is sealed... does not leak any air. If it does find another bottle
2. then i always tighten the lids very tight
3. date bottle as to when it was purchased it
4. store it in a place that temperature is static - no great climbs or dives in the temperature

The bigger problem exists with opened bottles... always close them tight. Do not discard the foam seal that come on the top of a new bottle. Flip it over (up-side down) and install back into the lid. This will provide additional inslutation and sealing.
Old 08-27-2009, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Triple 7

I have heard a lot of different ways to store the powder, and I do not doubt the fellows who say this. I do believe them.

However I have sworn off the stuff.

Personally I do not believe it can be stored properly. The fact that the cannisters are unopened may help-no doubt. But there will come a time when the powdeer will be a problem.

I have had three different cannisters that I tried to store(for less than one year), and had problems with all three cannisters(and they were stored properly). For me T7 is just not worth. it.

Even if it stores properly it is just too finicky when opened and used. Few people use a full cannister at a time.

I have containers of BP that have stayed fairly consistent for years. I have a pound of Red Dot that was over 20 years old, and it worked properly-so I konw how to store powder.

You may save a little bit of money now. But it masy cost you down the road. This is just my opinion. However I try to get all the accuracy and consistency I can get, so I may be a little too demanding. Tom.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:17 PM
Dominant Buck

Well I shoot a lot and also buy Triple Seven, Pyrodex loose & pellets, and black powder in bulk. I have it stored in a safe dry cool place and have yet to have a pound of it go bad.

Also Sabotloader, I do the same thing with powders. I squeeze that jug and if it lets out air, I take a different one.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

It makes a major difference where you live. I have to store it in a dehumidified gun safe here in AR, when I lived in Northern IL it was no problem. Some places are naturally dryer than others where it gets cold enough to freeze some of the humidity out of the air that helps where you have 80 or 90 percent humidity all year it takes some care. A few of the dehumidifying packets bake in the oven and put in with the powder and a dehumidified area with do the job anywhere. Lee
Old 08-27-2009, 03:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

Couple of weekends ago i fired some 777 that has been open since 2006. No problems at all and the 250 grain SST/Shockwaves went to the same point of impact they did 3 years ago. The bottle was tightly closed without dessicant.
Old 08-27-2009, 03:46 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by lemoyne
It makes a major difference where you live. I have to store it in a dehumidified gun safe here in AR, when I lived in Northern IL it was no problem. Some places are naturally dryer than others where it gets cold enough to freeze some of the humidity out of the air that helps where you have 80 or 90 percent humidity all year it takes some care. A few of the dehumidifying packets bake in the oven and put in with the powder and a dehumidified area with do the job anywhere. Lee
Desiccant/Silica Gel is all it takes folks. Drop one or two in your can, and tighten the lid, and you're done.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:19 PM
Fork Horn

N.Utah is very dry most of the year , even more so in the winter when everything is frozen and my basement stays about the same temp most of the time , not a big change . I do use a swamp cooler in the heat of the summer though .
Old 08-27-2009, 04:25 PM
Fork Horn

Originally Posted by lemoyne
A few of the dehumidifying packets bake in the oven and put in with the powder and a dehumidified area with do the job anywhere. Lee

I just got the safe and have been looking at a dehumidifier anyway . Would you recommend opening new cans and putting the dehumidifying packets or just in the used one ?

Thank guys

RobK.
Old 08-27-2009, 04:38 PM
Giant Nontypical

Leave the new can seal there shuld not be any problem with them I would put them in the safe with the dehumidifier but its probly not necessary do put the open ones in there they can get eratic. It with still shoot all most all the time but if it draws a bit of moisture it won't group at long range. Lee

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.