Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pelets and powder

Old 08-29-2009, 01:52 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Pelets and powder

Never seen this addressed, but would there be any problems with taking 2-50 grain 777 pellets and adding 20 grains of powder in the barrel (example). Or any other mixture of pellets and powder, say 1-50 pellet and 30 powder?
Old 08-29-2009, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

I played around with that a couple years a go, it works best for me with the loose on the bottom next to the breach plug. Lee
Old 08-29-2009, 03:01 PM
Fork Horn

I did think about that when I first got into BP but never tried it. Once I started with loose powder, pellets were a thing of the past. If a pellet/powder combo was experimented with, of course they would have to be the same brand with the same burn rate.
Old 08-29-2009, 04:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm curious as to why one would want to mix the two. If you are going to measure the powder anyway, would not it just be easier to measure out 120 gr loose?
Old 08-29-2009, 04:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't try it, mainly because I don't use pellets. But in theory, I guess it could work.
Old 08-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

Why would you ever want to shoot Duplex loads? Mixing powders is never a good idea at all. Even if they both are 777, the pellets arent made the same way as the loose powder.
Old 08-29-2009, 07:24 PM
Typical Buck

If a pellet/powder combo was experimented with, of course they would have to be the same brand with the same burn rate.
Different powders can be safely mixed & matched to make duplex loads even if it's just for experimentation purposes.
Flintlock shooters do it all of the time and it's even recommended by Hodgdon.

Flintlock: To insure proper ignition in flintlock systems, 5 grains of FFFFG priming powder should be placed into the bore prior to loading the main charge of Triple Seven or Pyrodex. Consult the loading data in this brochure to determine the proper charge for the caliber firearm used and the chosen projectile. The main powder charge should be reduced by 5 grains to compensate for the addition of the priming powder. While holding the firearm vertically, slowly pour the measured charge of Triple Seven or Pyrodex into the barrel. Seat the projectile firmly against the powder. Make certain that there is no airspace between the powder and the projectile. *See WARNING below.

http://www.hodgdon.com/loading.html
Similarly, it's possible that there's a benefit from the different burning rates and characteristics of each kind of powder used in any duplex load.
And if people didn't safely experiment then many current ammunition rounds that were once wildcats would have never been developed.
I don't see anything inherently unsafe about duplex loads and I've been waiting to hear about duplex loads using Blackhorn 209 in sidelocks or inlines that utilize #11's or musket caps.
One would think that using a partial load of BH 209 would be cleaner than using a full load of a dirtier powder if it could be ignited reliably.

Last edited by arcticap; 08-29-2009 at 07:27 PM.