Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
Knight Long Range Hunter >

Knight Long Range Hunter

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Knight Long Range Hunter

Old 08-04-2009, 07:37 AM
Spike

Default Knight Long Range Hunter

Picked up two from Cabela's Sale they have going on. Now I am waiting for them to be shipped to me.

now what?

Any recomendations on bullet/powder combo?
Old 08-04-2009, 01:38 PM
Spike

I was searching the internet a while back for a good muzzleloader to replace my CVA wolf. I ran across cabelas deal knowing night went out of business and bought one myself since it was a good deal and how its "deadly" acrutate.

Mine should be here tomorrow. As for a website I went with alot of tony briges advice. He has had the gun and shot 1000's of rounds thru it. I'm a nikon/leupold guy myself and I went with the Hi-lux scope he has. (However used burris silver rings and bases)

I purchased Blackhorn 209, CCI 209M primers, 260gr & 300 gr Harvester PT gold sabots and will be playing around this week.

I found alot of the info at http://www.hpmuzzleloading.com/NAMHAhome.html

Last edited by earnhard3; 08-04-2009 at 01:41 PM.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:02 PM
Dominant Buck

I personally would shoot Triple Seven or Pyrodex because blackhorn is a hard powder to get in some areas. As for bullets, he gave some great suggestions. Also some 250 Barnes, Lehigh 250 should work good, that is a great rifle. If I needed one, I would get one myself.

As for the scope, I would go with a Nikon Omega. Or something better.
Old 08-04-2009, 02:30 PM
Spike

like I said I'm a nikon/leupold guy however when I ordered the hi-lux scope I talked to the sales guy for 15 mins hands down. Pretty much the bullet and powder is going to make a huge difference but he said with nikon or leupold its harder to get it down at 100 yards to equal out farther down. I do like leupolds ultimateslam with the 2 powder or 3 powder charge but like i said its all based on the powder and the bullet.

I went with hi-lux cause I found the tech data someone had for that scoped and liked how he got it to shoot. Its the gun, scope, powder and bullet, and the user all added together for his results but I know its able to do it I guess so after so pratice I should be close too.
Old 08-10-2009, 07:58 AM

Hey guys ... i havent been on this site in a looong time. I ordered one of the Knight LRH's from Cabelas yesterday ... had almost 200 in saved up cabelas points ... so ... at app. $222 i think im getting a good deal.
I have Leupold bases/rings/scopes on all my rifles....anyone have a specific base recommendation .... leupold or warne??? im thinking about taking the fixed sites off it and getting a 50mm leupold.

ive also been looking at those 250gl lehigh bullets ... man .. those look bas---.

anyone have apic of their LRH setup?

thanks much ...
Old 08-10-2009, 09:40 AM
Spike

Here is my setup. Myself I have leupold everything. I don't know why I guess I didn't take a bite at there new ML scope. You never know I might snag it for my shotgun. I think the nikon would look pretty damn nice on the LRH too.

I didn't have ANY help from leupold at all when trying to find a silver base that would fit. Pretty much I did all the work telling them the drill pattern and they still couldn't help me out worth a damn. I looked around and found that several of knights guns had the same drill pattern ( disc extreme/ lrh, bighorn, wolverine,tk2000 shotgun)

since I had the scope I was locked in on a color and needed silver rings. Burris makes a set I like. If you want a part number let me know. I got mine scope rings and bases from midwayusa.
Old 08-10-2009, 09:44 AM
Spike

I wish the gun SS was closer the rings and bases but oh well...The scope is a bit brighter than I would expect. Leupold and nikon I think are a bit duller.

Last edited by earnhard3; 08-10-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 08-10-2009, 03:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Knights

I own and have owned a bunch of Knight rifles over the years. Including the first MK-85 that I bought. Every Knight I have handled has been a shooter, even the cheaper models.

I have also found the Knight's to be universally adaptive to about any type of projectile you wish to shoot. This includes, round balls, conicals, and saboted bullets.

I have shot them all in my Knight's, including my LRH. And accuracy has been exceptional. I have went to cast conicals in my LRH, however the Barnes 250 grain bullet is extremely accurate in the rifle.

As far as scopes are concerned. I think a lot of the new MZ scopes are not necessary. Why limit your optics. I have a Leupold 4.5X14 with the B&C reticle. The duo is deadly out to 250 yards with the Barnes 250 grain bullet. I am working on the conicals right now. The beautiful thing about the B&C is that it is highly adaptive if you take your time, and put in your range time.

I prefer the Warne bases and rings. I like the way a blued scope looks on a SS rifle. I have never seen a SS rifle that matches the bases and rings and silver scope-so I do not like the way they look. Tom.

Old 08-10-2009, 04:02 PM
Spike

leupold makes 1" rings that are gun metal gray. However couldn't find a base that would work. I do agreee with the color deal Tom. Looks like your range is a nice place.
Old 08-10-2009, 04:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Ranges

Originally Posted by earnhard3
leupold makes 1" rings that are gun metal gray. However couldn't find a base that would work. I do agreee with the color deal Tom. Looks like your range is a nice place.
We are covered up with ranges here in Northern WV. I have a range in my back yard. I can drive 2 miles to a 1,000 yard BR range, and two other ranges. The one in the picture is a new WV State Range that is about 10 minutes from my house. A lot of us get together there on Sunday afternoons and put a lot of lead down range. It is great living in a state that promotes shooting. Our Gov. was at this range last summer. However he was there to shoot, not to politic.

I never could get a rifle, mounts and scope to match. However yours looks pretty close. I would say that is about as close as you could get. Looks Great. Tom.

Last edited by HEAD0001; 08-10-2009 at 04:57 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.