Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6) >

How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Old 06-16-2009, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How much powder to use?

Well im real glad I posted a pic of the patches...that makes me feel a lot better!

The patches I bought were "pre lubed"...if I use some denim or pillow ticking what should I use to lube them?

Thank you guys!
Old 06-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

I get mine from WalMart, cotton ticking, it's blue or red striped...I quit using prelubed because they were burning through with 80grs of FFF Goex...If you buy in bulk and lube a few as you go then the cotton fibers don't break down...

I now make my own lube, but used SnoSeal for about 25 years...Some guys use Olive Oil, some Crisco,
I even know a guy that uses wheel grease...

Old 06-16-2009, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think we got some SnoSeal lyin round here somewhere!

Olive oil works too?

Ok well I found some denim and enough to test it out...it aint as thick as my Carhartts but it looks like itll still be a bit more difficult to shove down there...
Old 06-16-2009, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

Luck is on my side today!

Lets hope this stuff will work!

Unfortunately I ran out of caps [:@]...and the local guy doesnt have any, please oh please Bi-Mart! haha
Old 06-16-2009, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

As far as lube goes, keep it simple for your next try. I've been using straight olive oil with great success. You can experiment with how wet you want your patch to be, but my best results have come with oiling a stack of a dozen or so patches, then putting the stack in a paper towel and squeezing it between my fingers until the lube is spread evenly and the patches are fairly dry. You can do the same thing with Crisco, peanut oil, or any other vegetable oil.

If those pre-lubed patches you bought were sitting on the shelf for a year the lube could very well have broken down the fibers of the fabric.
Old 06-17-2009, 02:20 AM
Fork Horn

your shot patches should look like you could almost use them again.
When I use denim patches, I do use them again. If they have been used only once, I pick them up and put them in a small string bag. When I have a bunch, they go into the wash. Cleaned and dried, they get lubed with a dab of bore butter.
Pete
Old 06-17-2009, 03:09 AM
Giant Nontypical

Take that material, cut into strips about an inch and a quarter wide and maybe 18 - 24 inches long...

Take a putty knife and smear SnoSeal on one side, put in the microwave about 15 seconds with a few paper towels under to absorb the excess lube...Then put in a zip lockbad and label...Do the same with
other lubes you might want to try...This way when you get to the range you can see which works best for your gun...Just center the ball, push down flush with the muzzle and cut with a sharp knife, and ram her home...
Old 06-17-2009, 06:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

So I dont have to cut them into stinkin little circle like I tediously spent anhour doing last night??[&:]
Old 06-17-2009, 06:39 AM
Dominant Buck

If you hate cutting circles.. lay the lubed strip of cloth over the muzzle and set the ball dead center in the bore. Then with the short end of a short starter, set the ball under the muzzle.

Notice how you have a perfect centered patch now. So the next step...

Grip the patch material with your fingers and pull up. The ball and patch will hold itself. Then with a scissors or knife, cut the patch material off the muzzle of the rifle. You now have a perfect centered patch.

All you have to do is take the long nose of the short starter and set the ball down, then finish it off with a ramrod.

Your patches are blown out in that picture. Another thing is, dump your powder. Tap the butt of the rifle on the toe of your shoe to level the load. If you have any corn meal in the house, dump about 20 grains of that down on top of the powder. It will not mix as it is too heavy. This will act as a buffer to your patch and ball. Then you can set your patch like shown above and it should be in near perfect condition. Check your patch again and if it is shredded or torn, then you have a ruff spot in the bore. You will then have to smooth the bore.

I shoot 777 in my CVA Mountain Stalker/Bobcat all the time with no problems and excellent accuracy. I've taken deer with it that never knew what hit them. That cap is setting itself. Get a new nipple or try some different caps. If anyone dry fires their rifles, you will often see this happen.
Old 06-17-2009, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Cayugad!

Well now I have a bunch of round ones that I spent a while making so I will still probably use those up first! haha

Ok so I think were making a run into town today and I want to pick up some Hornady Great Plains Conicals, but someone on here said they will not shoot well out of my rifle? If they dont shoot good, or group well at all, I may not hunt with the smoke pole this year because I dont want to have to hunt with a round ball. I know I could do it with good shot placement but the extra insurance of that 385 grain conical would make me feel a lot better.

So why wont they group good? Is there anything I can do to get them to?

BHB

Quick Reply: How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.