Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6) >

How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

How much powder to use? (Pyrodex Results page 6)

Old 06-21-2009, 05:05 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How much powder to use?

I either pour a slug in the barrel or if it is just a light job flatten 3 or 4 lead balls drive them into the barrel then push them back out from the other direction. Center drill them and mount on a steel rod, You can use valve grinding compound if its to rough for JB's you have to replace the slug or balls about every 20 strokes. If you can not remove the breach plug don't try these ways. I prefer polishing the bottom of the rifling as well as the bore. Lee
Old 06-21-2009, 10:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

I either pour a slug in the barrel or if it is just a light job flatten 3 or 4 lead balls drive them into the barrel then push them back out from the other direction. Center drill them and mount on a steel rod, You can use valve grinding compound if its to rough for JB's you have to replace the slug or balls about every 20 strokes. If you can not remove the breach plug don't try these ways. I prefer polishing the bottom of the rifling as well as the bore. Lee
This may be a little too involved for the newly initiated to the darkside. But would be very effective for sure!
Old 06-22-2009, 03:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you can get your hands on some lead conicals, shoot a bunch. You may find that they are acceptably accurate, and they may help cure your rough bore.