Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 IMR POWDER (white hot pellets) has anyone tried these? >

IMR POWDER (white hot pellets) has anyone tried these?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

IMR POWDER (white hot pellets) has anyone tried these?

Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

fusion

First, White Hots are probably the best 2 pellet loads ive seen but cost per shot exceeds BH209. Velocity is no where near their claims but they are much cleaner than T7 pellets.

Second i have shot over 12 bottles of BH209 including a 50 shot string without any sign of a crud ring in 45cals 50cals and 54cal with even heavy charges.

If you are getting a crud ring its from something else like RemOil or other lube residue in the bore. If you are using RemOil in the barrel it MUST be completely removed before shooting either powder.

Third, Your hangfires are more likely due to light seating pressure and/or loose fitting sabots/projectiles. Carbon from mag primers also builds up much faster in some breach plugs. Ive had FAR more hangfires with mags in OEM CVA breachplugs than with plain old Win209s. My OEM CVA plug was fine until carbon was restricting the flash hole.

Opening up the flash hole and/or flash channel has worked without a flaw in every modified CVA breach plug (5) i tried.

Swabbing between shots is likely forcing residue and/or solvent into the flash hole and making it even worse. Dry swab ONLY with BH209 IF your sabots are too tight and use a brush wrapped with a dry patch instead of a cleaning jag. Then pop a primer then visually inspect the BP to make sure nothing got into the flash hole.

All of mine have the primers head spaced in the breach plugs and will ignite BH209 with even WinT7 primers in all my Knights and my Accura 45. As a test i shot over 30 T7 primers one day without even the slightest hang fire even with loose fitting Powerbelt Plat 300s.

Use what works for you but i would not give up on BH209 or loose T7. I found using a good bore polish and Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner made a big difference in bore residue. Cleaning was easier and T7 crud ring was greatly reduced.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-03-2010 at 05:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:03 AM
Fork Horn

Gm54-120

If you read my post again you will see that my reference to having a crud ring was with the white hots not BH-209. My only reference to BH-209 were in regards to the hangfires. My hangfires with the BH-209 were with the CCI magnum primer so I will take your advice and try it with the Winchester 209's.
Old 11-03-2010, 06:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default White hot lose powder

Does anyone think that we will ever see white hot in loose powder form? It's pellet only now isn't it? I prefer to "work up" my own load and would love to try it sometime.

Mitch
Old 11-03-2010, 07:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

I shoot them in my Accura and get sub one inch groups at 100yds. Have not experienced any hang fires(I have with BH-209). I think it is just a dirty as tripple 7 and I do swab between shots, it does leave a crud ring.
Im sorry but this sure made it sound like you claimed to get a crud ring with BH209 and T7.

Thats what happens when i read before my morning coffee

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-03-2010 at 07:36 AM.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by mitchmtm1
Does anyone think that we will ever see white hot in loose powder form? It's pellet only now isn't it? I prefer to "work up" my own load and would love to try it sometime.

Mitch
I would love to try it if they did since BlackMag will probably not be around anytime soon.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:02 AM
Spike

ill be shooting them with my cva optima pushing a 250gr tc shockwave.
ill post my results this weekend.
Old 11-07-2010, 07:42 AM
Spike

Well yesterday's shooting went very well.
I shot around 15 rounds using the whitehots with a two pellet charge and my 250gr shockwaves.
accuracy was right on and i had no misfires or delayed fires and there was no bullet tumble to speak of.
im guessing there are a few guns out there that just dont like these things or maybe a couple guys got a bad batch or let them get damp or some other unknown variable.

i will say i dont think they burn any cleaner than the pyrodex i was using and when these are gone i probably wont be buying them again!
i dont see any advantage whatsoever to using them!
i still had to dry swab between every single shot and several of my reloads were very hard to get fully seated.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:11 PM
Spike

Default IRM. White hots

I have used these with my new CVA Wolf. I was told to use these from the video that came with the gun. They said it was the cleanest thing on the market. You still have clean it with solvent every shot if you want the bullet to seat all the way down on your pellets. I may be new to muzzle loading, but I was following their instructions in the video and it could not go 7 or 8 shots with out cleaning. I found the best loading is with cleaning after ever shot. A lot of trial and error. End result. They shoot just fine. I don't have alot to ccompare to though. I was cutting holes on top of each other at 30 yards to start out with a 2" group. I'm a little confused if I can shoot a magnum load. I have a magnum gun and the box gives mixed answers. I can't wait to kill some deer.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Hey Kevin. Welcome to the forum. Boy, you really dug around to find that old thread.

It sounds like you have a load that's working for you. There are a couple of guys here that have used the White Hots. Some were happy, some not. Hang around here long enough and you will see a lot of options. The general opinion (though not universal by any means) is that magnum loads are not necessary and not always the most accurate.
Old 09-27-2011, 02:25 PM
Spike

Just to finish with my 2" group I did put 15 shots in there. Cost per shot- 2 pellets 1 powerbelt, and winchester 209 primer right around a $1.90. Good thing once I get this thing shooting the way I'm comfortable it I will put it away until the season is here, and go back to target shooting with a .22. Much cheaper.