HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Black Powder (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder-23/)
-   -   IMR POWDER (white hot pellets) has anyone tried these? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/black-powder/292464-imr-powder-white-hot-pellets-has-anyone-tried-these.html)

whitetailcrazy 04-21-2009 03:36 PM

IMR POWDER (white hot pellets) has anyone tried these?

IMR white hot pellets, are supposedly the fastest thing out there! There website say they achieve 2300fps velocities, but do they pattern,, that's the question..... What's the word out on this powder,,,, its supposedly a very clean shooting powder, i would just like to hear a little more about them before I decide to make the purchase!

driftrider 04-21-2009 03:57 PM

RE: IMR POWDER (white hot pellets) has anyone tried these?

How much do they cost? I'll bet they are expensive like all BP subs, especially the pellet versions.

I think I'll stick with AA-5744 in my Savage. I won't get 2300fps out of it (with published safe loads, which are all I use), but it's completely clean and only costs $0.12/shot.

Mike

bronko22000 04-21-2009 05:20 PM

They are double the price of T7 pellets. I think I figured it out to be something like $.77 a shot just for the powder. T7 is like $.38.

116Buck 04-22-2009 03:36 AM

ORIGINAL: whitetailcrazy

IMR white hot pellets, are supposedly the fastest thing out there! There website say they achieve 2300fps velocities, but do they pattern,, that's the question..... What's the word out on this powder,,,, its supposedly a very clean shooting powder, i would just like to hear a little more about them before I decide to make the purchase!
Looks like you get to be the guinee pig!! Let me know how it works for you!!

rshunter32 04-22-2009 06:30 PM

If the weather holds for the weekend I'll let you know how they work for me. Trying them out of my T/C Triumph with 250 grain Barnes TMZs. I bought a package a little while ago but haven't been able to get to my shooting area.(spring thaw hasn't quite dried yet ) The cost is a little more, but not double. If the statements are true, I think the cost would be roughly the same with 2 white hot pellets compared to 3 t7s.

whitetailcrazy 04-22-2009 06:59 PM

How many grains of powder do they recommend 100 as oppossed to 150!

hunting junkie 04-22-2009 07:50 PM

You don't get as many pellets in a box.

LarryFox1 04-22-2009 08:35 PM

Powder Valley .Inc has these White Hots Pellets for $17.80 for a 72 count box.I not done the math but i think they might just be cheaper than 777 Pellets

driftrider 04-23-2009 12:52 PM

ORIGINAL: LarryFox1

Powder Valley .Inc has these White Hots Pellets for $17.80 for a 72 count box.I not done the math but i think they might just be cheaper than 777 Pellets
That makes them cost a $0.25/pellets, so $0.50 to $0.75 per shot. Still too rich for my blood, and I really don't like pellet powder. At least 72 is evenly divisible by 3, for the 3 pellet shooters.

Mike

rshunter32 04-30-2009 05:02 PM

I finally got to try them. Out of my triumph, the groups I got at 75 yards were in the 3/4" inch range. This was with a hornady 250 gr. low drag sst, 2 pellets and a kleenbore primer. My groups were bettered by about a 1/2" from t7. What I really liked about this powder was the fact it grouped better without cleaning the barrel between shots and the barrel wasn't fouled like t7. I finally found my load for my gun. Can't wait to try longer shots out to 200 yards not to mention deer season which can't get here fast enough.