HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - IMR POWDER (white hot pellets) has anyone tried these?
Old 11-03-2010, 05:42 AM
Gm54-120
Giant Nontypical

fusion

First, White Hots are probably the best 2 pellet loads ive seen but cost per shot exceeds BH209. Velocity is no where near their claims but they are much cleaner than T7 pellets.

Second i have shot over 12 bottles of BH209 including a 50 shot string without any sign of a crud ring in 45cals 50cals and 54cal with even heavy charges.

If you are getting a crud ring its from something else like RemOil or other lube residue in the bore. If you are using RemOil in the barrel it MUST be completely removed before shooting either powder.

Third, Your hangfires are more likely due to light seating pressure and/or loose fitting sabots/projectiles. Carbon from mag primers also builds up much faster in some breach plugs. Ive had FAR more hangfires with mags in OEM CVA breachplugs than with plain old Win209s. My OEM CVA plug was fine until carbon was restricting the flash hole.

Opening up the flash hole and/or flash channel has worked without a flaw in every modified CVA breach plug (5) i tried.

Swabbing between shots is likely forcing residue and/or solvent into the flash hole and making it even worse. Dry swab ONLY with BH209 IF your sabots are too tight and use a brush wrapped with a dry patch instead of a cleaning jag. Then pop a primer then visually inspect the BP to make sure nothing got into the flash hole.

All of mine have the primers head spaced in the breach plugs and will ignite BH209 with even WinT7 primers in all my Knights and my Accura 45. As a test i shot over 30 T7 primers one day without even the slightest hang fire even with loose fitting Powerbelt Plat 300s.

Use what works for you but i would not give up on BH209 or loose T7. I found using a good bore polish and Montana Extreme Bore Conditioner made a big difference in bore residue. Cleaning was easier and T7 crud ring was greatly reduced.

Last edited by Gm54-120; 11-03-2010 at 05:49 AM.