Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 scope mount questions for t/c endeavor >

scope mount questions for t/c endeavor

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope mount questions for t/c endeavor

Old 04-19-2009, 04:09 AM
Spike

Default scope mount questions for t/c endeavor

I want to mount a scope on my endeavor (.50 barrel) but have a few questions: I have a t/c weaver base and would like to use warne quick release rings but am open to other suggestions. What height should my rings be? Did you ever run into problems with eye relief and wanting to move the scope more forward on the barrel? Am I better off using a one piece Talley mount? Will I have to take the rear fiber optic off to mount the scope? Any suggestions would be helpful. Thanks.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: scope mount questions for t/c endeavor

Medium will work,you should not have to take off the sight.Your eye relief will depend on your scope mine is a four and i have no problems.I had a weaver one piece and a two piece.
Old 04-19-2009, 05:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

The first thing is to determine height, I figure that by the diameter of the largest lens divide by 2 add 5mm this will give you the center of the scope to the barrel will enough clearance; then you can measure the rings on the mount from the bottom of the mount to the center of the rings if the distance of the mount and rings is greater you are ok if not get higher rings.
Eye relief problems are common and some people don't even know whats wrong when they have them. The way the stock fits as well as the scopes eye relief and the mount location all enter into it.
My way of dealing with it is a bit different than most; it works for me.
I shoulder or have the person being fitted shoulder the gun and aim with iron sights, I mark the location of the eye on the stock with a piece of tape, measure forward the amount of eye relief +1 inch and mark that with a piece of tape If the scope wont adjust to that point or a bit forward of it I look at different mounts or extension rings.
Hope this helps. Lee
Old 04-19-2009, 06:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

You spent alot of money to buy that Muzzleloader. Dont put a cheap weaver base on it. Warne bases and rings are the best for Muzzleloaders imo. The one piece talley is very good as well. I would use medium rings for sure.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:13 AM
Fork Horn

If you have the one piece TC steel base it will work with The Warne or Talley QR rings. If you go bigger then 32mm front glass on your scope you will have to remove the rear sight. I have the TC base with Leupold medium QR rings with a Nikon Omega scope andthe belljust clears the barrel.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:22 AM
Typical Buck

Go with a warne base also. Mine has a warne base and QR rings with a Burris Fullfield II and it fits fine without removing the rear sights. It is close to the sights but works well.
Old 04-19-2009, 11:52 AM
Spike

The info. is much appreciated--keep it coming. My thoughts now are to scrap the t/c base and either go with the Warne Maxima base and Warne rings or try the Talley. It just depends on whether or not I'll want the quick release to switch out the scope to go with a red dot during muzzleloader season, as Wisconsin doesn't allow powered optics during muzzleloader season. I could always just keep my Omega with the red dot and use the Endeavor during gun season with the a more permanent base and rings. Then again, it might be good to use QR to take the scope off to clean it. So many things to think about! By the way, nice shooting, InRecordBookBuck. I'm think of getting the new Leupold UltimateSlam scope, but you've got me intrigued with your set-up.
Old 04-19-2009, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

The QR rings are really nice for cleaning and I still like to shoot iron sights on occassion they make it alot easier to do what ever you want. I had thought about buying a Leopuld also but, tell you the truth I really like the Burris and the price is fair to boot. I think I have seen them as low as 190 or so (maybe a little lower I have not looked in awhile) at various places on the net.
Old 04-19-2009, 03:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

The Endeavor has no blow back. Permanent rings would be just fine. But, open sights wont be available then.