Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Remington Genesis......Talk to me people >

Remington Genesis......Talk to me people

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis......Talk to me people

Old 04-16-2009, 05:01 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Remington Genesis......Talk to me people

Well I personally have not owned a Triumph, but from all I have read on them there really would be little comparison between them. They have a different company, different actions, and different prices.

Still the point I am trying to make,compare the price that some were getting a Genesis for and then the price of a Triumph. Then consider the accuracy, both are exceptional. And if all I had to shoot was 100 yards, and was going to use it a few days out of the year and did not want a big investment, then it would be easy.. the Genesis. If I wanted to hunt and shoot a lot during the year, and maybe scope it and shoot extreme distances, then the Triumph might be a good choice. Although from my preliminary shooting with the Genesis, this might have some good long range abilities as well.
Old 04-19-2009, 01:56 PM

I'm pretty happy with mine. I had to rework the trigger to get a crisp 3 lb. pull. It appears to be a very safe gun to pack around in the field in condition one. And it shoots almost as well as my old T/C Black Diamond.
Old 04-20-2009, 09:16 AM
Fork Horn

I have had my Genesis now for 2 or 3 seasons. It is accurate and has nice balance. I have the stainless model with the rubber grips and am not sure I would ever buy a blued barrel model blackpowder gun again...just preference. I had my first "minor" issue this year when the torch cam stopped closing tight so I popped the pin and took the spring out and tapped the metal pin that locks the torch shut free and lubed it lightly then reassembled. It hasn't given me any trouble since.
I would definately give this gun a thumbs up for you and having shot the Triumph as well, I would say this: the Genesis is faster to geta primer loaded into, the triumph is very accurate, and if I had to buy one or the other today, I might have to flip a coin.

Good luck with your choice.
Old 04-21-2009, 08:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also got one during the Cabela's sale for around $100 or so. Mine is the camo one with the blued barrel. Do I think it was a good deal for $100? Yes. However, I wouldn't pay much more than that for it. I haven't shot mine a ton and haven't sighted in the scope so can't comment on accuracy but the shooting I did with open sights seemed good.

The complaints I have are the finish. I've read of it wearing off and I have a few spots where it looks like it might be starting to and I've hardly used this gun. I've also had a few very small chips in the camo. I just don't think the finish is very good on this gun. Other than that I like the gun pretty well.

The ram rod is another thing I don't like.

I think it's a decent gun and pretty good for the price but there are a lot better muzzle loaders out there if you don't mind paying more.
Old 04-22-2009, 04:17 AM
Fork Horn

I have a Genesis and have used it the past couple seasons. The first few posts of this thread covered what I would say. All are spot on.

Personally, I have had no trouble with my gun and love it. It looks good and preforms well. I hunt with it for both the ML season but, also the shotgun season (in Delaware).

You will not be disappointed if you pick this gun. It is a winner. I would however, wait for a sale!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:00 AM

The genesis isn't a great gun but for the money it's one of the best. Mine was $110 after rebate, and I got free shipping. There's nothing to complain about as far as accuracy. There are a few things to dislike: the trigger is pretty heavy. The ramrod isn't as long as it should be (abt an inch sticks out when you load the gun, and it sinks far with no load in). The action needs to be wiped clean every few shots to keep the cam moving easily. The finish on the gun is somewhat matted so you have to keep it clean and oiled. If someone were to enter the world of muzzleloading, this would be a great deal if you can find one.
Old 04-22-2009, 09:20 PM
Fork Horn

I was able to get the Laminated/thumbhole stock model with the stainless barrel for $146 through Cabelas. I also have a Thompson Center Prohunter, and I've been using the same loadin both guns, which is two 50 grain pyrodex pellets and and a 250 gr hornady SST sabot. Both guns are incredibly accurate with this load with little recoil. Of course, I prefer the T/C; however, the Genesis is a good shooting gun, and who could complain with the price. This same gun was listed at $540, and I paid $146 including shipping!

My only complaint would be the ramrod, but then again, I use my Prohunter ramrod, which I think is the best ramrod to accompany a ML on the market.