Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Remington Genesis......Talk to me people >

Remington Genesis......Talk to me people

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis......Talk to me people

Old 04-16-2009, 03:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default Remington Genesis......Talk to me people

Hey guys,
Last Christmas I came within a nat's a$$from buying a Genesis from Cabela's during their sale (I actually made the order but cancelledit at the last minute). Well I've been looking around on the internet to see if anyone else sold them and I finally found some at Natchez shooting supplies and they have a blued-barrell, synthetic black stock version for $169.00. I was set on buying a T/C Triumph this summer but I am now looking at the Genesis again. This will be my first muzzleloader and will primarily be used for whitetail during a Kansas early fall season and maybe for the Missouri late muzzleloader season as well. What are your guys opinions on the Genesis? I've seen some posts where people like it's accuracy and it's a great gun for the money. Is this what you guys think? Would it be a good beginner's muzzleloader? Give me a list of pros and cons if you would. Also, from your guys experience, what is the best powder/bullet combo for this gun. Thanks guys, I always appreciate your insightand experience
Old 04-16-2009, 04:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Remington Genesis......Talk to me people

I did buy one from Cabela's during the sale. $100 after the rebate. Great gun for that money, but almost any gun would be a deal.

I have not done any experimenting, I've only shot 100 gr Pyrodex and Hornady 350 gr FPB bullets (full bore copper-jacketed conicals, no sabot). I sighted in at the range with 6 shots to get 2" high at 50 yds. I got 2, 1" groups with my last 4 bullets. Shot 3 deer with it last season, at 90, 35-40, and 75-80 yds. This particular load shoots through deer no problem and seems to leave decent blood trails. Mine have all been fairly short. 2 deer dropped in sight, and one went just over 100 yds, but was easy to track. I recommend this bullet for a beginner, as it takes one variable (the sabot)out of the equation.

The gun functions well, some will say the torch cam needs to be wiped after a few shots to keep it moving freely and I did notice that. The supplied ramrod is a 2-piece deal that I'm not crazy about. The stock/receiver design precludes installing a one-piece ramrod of useable length without it from protruding 3-4" beyond the muzzle. With the rod not extended, when I seat the bullet over 100 gr of powder, the rod is nearly flush with the end of the muzzle. No big deal, but you have to tip, or "bounce",the gun to pull the rod out. A dedicated cleaning rod is a good idea. The black plastic stock I have is nothing to write home about. It works fine. The trigger is average. Some have complained about the finish. My "blue" barrel is more of a dark grey. I haven't had rust issues, but I've kept the gun clean. If you plan to shoot with a scope, you'll find you probably can't mount it very low to the barrel, as the scope will obstruct the cam's travel. I used T/C gorilla grip mounts and they work fine. Just be aware of that when considering how the gun fits you. It may be possible to mount a scope with long eye relief, forward of the cam.

As far as a beginners gun, I'd say it is a typical in-line. Pretty simple and straight-forward. I have heard the design shoots BH 209 powder well, so that may be a plus. I have not heard bad reports about accuracy.
Old 04-16-2009, 05:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I also purchased a Remington Genesis with the Stainless Steel barrel. I have a Nikon Omega 3-9x40mm scope on it. Like some of the failings of the rifle Uncle Norby mentioned, the ramrod was one. BUT think about it... I use a range rod when shooting targets. And if I have to load once or twice with the ramrod in the field, so be it.

The torch cam I have not found a problem with. Granted I wipe it down every ten shots or so with a alcohol patch. Wipe the front, back and bottom. On the range a Q-tip can be used to clean the 209 primer pocket. Mine locks up real nice and tight and has not been a problem.

Accuracy with the rifle is exceptional. For some reason this rifle of mine likes Pyrodex RS Pellets. Two of them and a 250 grain Barnes MZ Expander or 200 grain Shockwaves produce amazing accuracy.

this three shot group was shot at 63 yards. The bullet was .452 and the group measured .471 so you do the math... not that I have ever done it sense, but I do know the rifle is able to shoot that well. Its the shooter that has the problems..

Cleaning the rifle is a breeze. Now I can say that after shooting twenty some shots, that when I wipe off my scope there is no blow back on that scope. Others report blow back. I tape and grease my breech plug.

One draw back is pay special attention to how the rifle comes apart and goes back together. If you make any small error, the rifle will not fire the primer. But also, if you discover the rifle will not fire the primer, ask yourself if you took and put the trigger in wrong when you cleaned it, or if you have the firing pin wrong. Other then that, it comes apart simple. And if you pay attention to the rifle, it goes back together easy.

Personally I really like the rifle. I paid $162.00 after rebates and such and I feel this is well worth the money. It would make a great starter rifle or even a great only rifle. It is a great starter rifle. It is basically the same rifle as the Traditions Yukon.
Old 04-16-2009, 07:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have owned 2of them. Theblue/black model and the Laminate thumbhole. UncleNorbyand cayugadare correct about the ramrod. I think it's the weakest link in the gun. But for hunting purposes, you really only use it once, maybe twice. Most use a range rod at the range or for cleaning. The only other con I might add to them would be they don't shoot conicals as well as sabots. NOW, I have only tried slip fit conicals in mine. I have not shot the FPB or Powerbelts as I have no desire to shoot them. I feel like they would probably shoot better than slip fits.

Both of mine were/are shooters. It would take a good bit for me to part with my laminate one now. Easy to clean, shoots great and shoulders wonderfully.

Though your other option of the Triumph would be a good choice as well. I've shot both and I'd be hard pressed to make a decision. Budget would probably play a big part.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:49 AM
Boone & Crockett

I also got one during the Cabela's sale for $100 after rebate. I like it. Its plenty accurate enough. I shoot the .430" 300 gr XTP with Green Harvester CR sabot and 100 gr of Pyrodex P.
Is it the best ML out there? Heck no, not by a long shot. But so far I've found it to be reliable, accurate and easily cleaned and maintained.
As for the ramrod issue, I installed a brass tip for loading Powerbelt hollow points and cut off the little 1/4" long tip of it, leaving just the six sided stub. It still fits under the barrel flush with the muzzle and I can use the hole in my ball starter to seat the bullet on top of the charge and have enough of the rod sticking out of the muzzle to grab.
Old 04-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Typical Buck

MO-KS_hunter
the T/C TRIUMPH is a good beginner's muzzleloader ..so good you will probably never buy anouther one ..
Old 04-16-2009, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

I bought mine from Natchez and love it. Only had it to the range twice, put Nikon Omega 3x9x40mm...bore sighted it. 2 pellets...FPB's or shockwaves and the gun is money at 100yds. Which gun is better I will leave that up to the experts but either way you can't go wrong T/C makes a great gun. I think Traditions made the Genesis for Remington but you might want to check up on that statement.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

Yes you are correct. Traditions makes the Genesis for Remington. And speaking of Traditions. I hope I don't step on any toes, but if I were you, I would not buy a Traditions Pursuit. My friend won one in a raffle at the local fire company and it is the worst piece of crap I've ever seen. It does shoot OK but the first time out, the rear sight cracked, the front fiber optic flew off and the trigger was so heavy that I thought he would have to hook it up to a winch to fire it.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Typical Buck

hard trigger +1 i should know i had 2 of them [never again] i also had a mod. 700 remington the trigger was ok but the blow-back was just horrible ,it used to burn the bottom of my scope ..
Old 04-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm another Genesis fan. Good gun. But if it's between a Genesis and a Triumph, I'd go with the Triumph.

Quick Reply: Remington Genesis......Talk to me people

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.