Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Remington Genesis

Old 12-01-2008, 01:22 PM

Default Remington Genesis

I just purchased the gun and i cant get a good group. Shooting iron sites from a bench from 20yds to 100yds. 150 grains of 777, powerbelt platninum, and 777 primers. State will not allow for scopes. Someone please help and let me know your thoughts.
Old 12-01-2008, 01:56 PM

Default RE: Remington Genesis

i forgot to mention i am shooting 270 grain powerbelt platniums. Please let me know what you shoot out of your genesis
Old 12-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back off on the powder to 100 grains. IMO< there's no need for that charge unless you know all your shots will be long, like over 100 yds. That may be the answer, but if notI would suggest you try a different bullet.

My Genesis shoots very well with 100 gr Pyrodex and Hornady FPB bullets. I would imagine it would shoot about the same with T7.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:45 PM
Dominant Buck

I really think you are pushing the powerbelts too hard. Drop them down to 80 grains of loose Pyrodex RSpowder and try them. All too often we see this magnum snake head raise up. Just because it is a magnum capabile rifle, you do not have to shoot magnum charges.

If sabots are allowed, try some XTP's or Shockwaves. All of this is a matter of trial and error.
Old 12-01-2008, 02:52 PM

Thanks i will try dropping down to 100 grains, i just wanted the shock power of a rifle.

Is it a big deal to use pellets, i will make a mess with powder, and i keep reading that podwer is dirty and use pellets, i am Brand new to all of this so any ideas will help
Old 12-01-2008, 03:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

Way to much powder for Power Belts, they work best with 70 or 80 gr and they are much more accurate with less powder as well as the known fact the the will fragment on the surface with that kind of velocity.
If you are set on shooting that type of bullet try a Saber Tooth 300gr with 100 gr powder.
For a Remington Genesis I would try the new Hornady FPB several people have had excellent results with them.
For a flat shooting high velocity load I would recommend a 250 gr Shock Wave 90, 100 and 110 gr of powder.
For a really good deer load up to 150 yds a 250 Gold Dot with 90, 100 and 110 gr of powder.
With a muzzle loader you need to try several different loads of powder and loose is not only much more economical it is also much better for finding an accurate load, if you feel you need to stay with pellets then try a 110 gr load. Lee
Old 12-01-2008, 03:18 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: blgeyen

Thanks i will try dropping down to 100 grains, i just wanted the shock power of a rifle.

Is it a big deal to use pellets, i will make a mess with powder, and i keep reading that podwer is dirty and use pellets, i am Brand new to all of this so any ideas will help

To shoot loose powder is easy. Get a pour cap that fits the top of the jug of powder. As you can see in the picture, the red caps fit right on the top of the one pound jugs. And then get a volume powder measure. Set it at what ever you want to shoot and full the powder measure, and then dump from the powder measure down the bore of the rifle. There really is no mess and it is a lot less expensive then pellets.

Pellet or loose powder, they are are the same for clean up.