Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 My reason for not wanting a Savage or CVA Electra >

My reason for not wanting a Savage or CVA Electra

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

My reason for not wanting a Savage or CVA Electra

Old 04-14-2009, 11:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: My reason for not wanting a Savage or CVA Electra

Whoa Mike - don't go gettin all stressed out. I read a lot of the posts on this topic and sans one or two, most of us are in agreement that it is up to the individual as to what he desires to use. I for one prefer caplocks and flinters when it comes to MLing. But that is personal. (Heck, the guys in here almost had to twist my arm to get me to buy an inline.) During 'regular' hunting seasons, I've been known to often tote a new fangled 'cartridge' gun.
I understand the technological advancement with the Savage ML and the cost advantage and I have no qualms with someone using one provided it is legal to use. And I am sure most of the members in here think the same.
And I do agree that we as hunters/shooters should be very careful at putting down another peers preference in firearms.
Old 04-14-2009, 01:53 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

+1
Old 04-14-2009, 03:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Whoa Mike - don't go gettin all stressed out. I read a lot of the posts on this topic and sans one or two, most of us are in agreement that it is up to the individual as to what he desires to use. I for one prefer caplocks and flinters when it comes to MLing. But that is personal. (Heck, the guys in here almost had to twist my arm to get me to buy an inline.) During 'regular' hunting seasons, I've been known to often tote a new fangled 'cartridge' gun.
I understand the technological advancement with the Savage ML and the cost advantage and I have no qualms with someone using one provided it is legal to use. And I am sure most of the members in here think the same.
And I do agree that we as hunters/shooters should be very careful at putting down another peers preference in firearms.
The reason I get worked up is because there are plenty of buddy f**krs out there who call themselves hunters that will gladly throw me and my way of hunting under the bus so that they, in their selfish elitism, can have their ML season totally exclusive to their preferred style of ML. Their desire to reclassify my ML the same as CF rifles/shotguns does nothing but drive hunters out of the woods. With the numbers of hunters declining every year, ever shrinking numbers of hunter/voters will bring the ultimate demise of ALL hunting a lot faster than my Savage with smokeless will.

The fact is that my Savage offers no practical advantage over any other inline ML, regardless of powder used. Mine still loads from the front one component at a time, just like any other, and mine still must be primed in a separate step before it can be fired. I can shoot 2 shots from a clean bore no faster than anyone else (and slower, in fact, than pellet users, since all smokeless is loose powder). The only "edge" I might have is that I don't have a blinding cloud of smoke that obscures my view of a wounded animal, which allows me to more quickly access if my shot was true and gives me an initial direct to start tracking, improving the chances of recovering the animal. That's it. Every other advantage is a matter or economics and convienience. But the elitists completely ignore the truth and continue to lobby for ever more restrictive rules and regs on state ML seasons through their legislators and state DNRs. These rules will alienate more and more people who want to hunt with a ML that has been removed from the legally permitted weapons for reasons that don't matter in the woods. Many of these guys (and probably gals, too) might just say "to h*ll with this", and hang it up. One less hunter, one less voter who thinks or cares about hunting in the voting booth, and one step closer to the anti's getting exactly what they want.

That's why I get ticked off.

Mike
Old 04-14-2009, 05:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

I gtot to agree with Dave on this one. I also if had an extra $500 or $600 would buy a Savage. I see no difference buying a cheaper smokeless powder than buying a high price BP sub to lessen my cleaning. It is just when you pay. Up front with the Savage and on the end with BH209.
I also don't care for the I want my own private season and every body else has to conform if they want to hunt in it.
They tried to geta so called primitve season here in Michigan a while back.
Turns out you can use a long bow or recurve in any season to hunt deer, you can use a flint lock in any firearm season to hunt any legal game.

Iffin ya'll want to point fingers start argueing a shot gun is a smooth bore. Iffin you add rifleing it is a rifle. Might just as well take care of those upstart rifled barrel shotgunners too.
Not going to talk about those carbon arrows and such either.

Al
Old 04-14-2009, 06:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see it as a personal choice and, in that, I am in agreement with no smokeless muzzleloaders FOR MYSELF.

Calm down, Mike, you do not help either by attacking and ridiculing your fellow hunters.