Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Need help with my TK 2000: UPDATE 5/3/09 >

Need help with my TK 2000: UPDATE 5/3/09

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Need help with my TK 2000: UPDATE 5/3/09

Old 04-06-2009, 06:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Need help with my TK 2000

WOW!! that is a great group.
Old 04-06-2009, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Hi,
First of it's good to another Female who Hunts, second my Wife is 5'2" and 110 and she also Hunts Turkeys with a ML and uses half the shot you do and only 62gr of 3f.
Next try this and it works because I use it for Bowhunting Turkeys and nothing beats it.
Put your decoy (if you can use one) in the (opposite diretion) the Bird is comming from. Stand behind a tree facing the decoy. When the bird see's the decoy he'll walk right by you and fan out, when he fan's out SHOOT, usually you'll have a CLOSE shot at the bird and his fan will block him from seeing you as he approaches the decoy.
I and My Wife have taken birds at 5yds and closer, and even the smallest load will put him down at that range, so dont worry about the load your using, just out-smart the bird and he's your's.
Best of Luck and Happy Hunting!
Ron (BP)
Old 04-07-2009, 12:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Holy mackerel Gotbuck - That's better than my 3 1/2" 870 does with a superfull turkey choke. That is some dandy turkey medicine.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:15 PM
Typical Buck

I sold all of my other non-muzzleloading 12 guages years ago and this one's a keeper for sure. The key to the tight pattern is to ram it home harder than hard to the point at which you think the ram rod will snap. The groups are just so tight. I usually find the wads shot at about the 40 yard mark and you can see the sillouettes of the shot embedded in the wad from ramming it so tight. It works and I'm sticking to it. The 20th could not come any sooner. There is a group of 6 big ol gobblers where I hunt that I would like to meet this year. Provided the coyotes had not beat me to the punch.
Old 04-08-2009, 03:56 PM

drdi ; I should be able to help you with your TK2000 issue. I worked at Knight's for years in the customer service dept. before they left Centerville, Iowa. During the off seasons I traveled extensively around the country with the TK2000,s and did a lot of women and kid's shooting events for the National Wild Turkey Federation and others promoting the TK. My wife also worked forthe NWTFat the same time and hunted all over the U.S. with the TK. She stands only 4 ft. 12" tall and ways about what you do.
Part of my job was to test the Tk with every load imaginable, and to help people who were having problems with getting their gun to pattern well.
This is what I found to produce the best patterning turkey loads bar none.My wife and I have shot tons of turkeys with this load. It consists of 80 TO 90 GRAINS(we use 85grains) of Triple 7 FFG powder and Ballistic Products "TPS" shotcup.. The 3" 2oz. shotcup is what you want. They should be Yellow in color. The shotcups used to run around $11.00 for a bag of 100.Top this off with the same little styrofoam over the shot wafer thaat knight sells to hold the shot in the barrel. The shot that almost always shot the best is copperplated # 6 if you can get it. (actually HEVI-SHOT patterns unbelievable with this combo, but is very expensive).If you can't find copperplated , the chilled # 6 will do.They best way to measure out your shot, is to take an empty cup and wrap a bit of electrical tape around the top, and fill it heaping full with shot. Always try to make each load as consistant withthe other as possible. That means always try to seat your components with the same pressure too.

This is the exact load my thousands of shots at the factory exceeded all others. It will pattern much, much better than what Knight will tell you to use.Plus the recoil will be manageable for smaller shooters.

If you have trouble fing the shotcups at BP's website, I will look up the part # for you.

Good Luck!

SW

Old 04-13-2009, 03:12 AM

Thank you SOOOOOOOOOOO much for all your replies. That helps so much. I didn't get much accomplished this past week with Easter and all, but this week I'll have time to get out some. I'm looking forward to trying some of your suggestions. Thanks again!
Old 05-01-2009, 04:03 AM
Spike

spwidmar....would be interested in your TK2000 knowledge. Have tried everytyhing with this gun to no avail. Switched to HeviShot and it shows promise but still not as good as it should be. Do the different wads really make much diff because I have tried a lot of wads andd they all seem to shoot about the same. Anyone else with any ideas. And yes the Hevi is spendy.
Old 05-03-2009, 01:48 PM

OK guys, I can now shoot my TK2000 and live to tell.

Still kicks hard, but doable. I need to spend some time getting the best pattern possible, but I can only shoot so much at a time. I feel confident it is field ready out to 30 yards (the same as my 20 gauge). So tomorrow I am going to take it to the woods with me.

Question? If I take it out on a rainy day, should I put some electrical tape over the opening of the barrel like I do with my ML rifle? Didn't know if that would affect a shotgun? I'll have to put two strips across because the shotgun barrel is wider than the rifle.

Thanks so much for all your help! Now all I need is a turkey in range!
Old 05-03-2009, 02:09 PM
Fork Horn

Put a condom over the barrel. Works like a charm.
Old 05-03-2009, 02:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Now all I need is a turkey in range!
Good luck drdi. I hope we get to see a picture of your kill.

Quick Reply: Need help with my TK 2000: UPDATE 5/3/09

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.