Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 T/C Weather Shield >

T/C Weather Shield

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

T/C Weather Shield

Old 03-31-2009, 05:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: T/C Weather Shield

I bought one last fall - wanted to try BH209. S
everal range sessions (100 + shots)and 15 days in the field.
From sun to rain, snow and ice.
Take decent care, but not as thorough as many here.
No problems to date with weathershield and its a shooter.

I decided to try this rifle in spite of a horrendous problem with an Omega 3 years and no satisfaction at all from TC customer service.
Don't need to rehash it again, but it was fair more then aunanswered message (several) and not answering emails.

Steve
Old 04-01-2009, 05:56 PM
Spike

I think a thing you might do, would be to call TC and ask them what the process is and what they think is the best process for maintaining it? Heck the call is free - actually you might do us all a favor if you got that information then told us about it.

[/quote]

I wrote an e-mail to them that said "I am wondering a few things about youe weathershield process. What kind of process is it? Nickle Plating or Powder coating, or something along those lines? What is the best way to care for it? same as a blued barrel or different? also I have heard from people that they have seen spotting on the barrels of these guns in the store, possibly from customers handling them with sweaty hands and not wiping down. what is your take on this?Thank you for your time in answering these questions and you answers will really be helping me out and making my choice (weathershield or not) easier."

They wrote me back in less then9 hours and said "This is a sprayed on coating that is baked to the steel. It still should be wiped down after use like you regular barrels. If a person has a chemical on there hands and handles the barrel it could leave marks depending on the chemical. This coating does help to protect you firearm from harsh weather better then other coatings. It still takes care as do all firearms. I hope this helps in your choice of firearms."

So this kills two birds with one stone 1
#1 T/C customer service is not as bad as some make it out to be
#2 Gives me/us our answers about weathershield.

[/align]
Old 04-01-2009, 06:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

aaron_aa469

Thanks a ton for the follow up. I still think it is an OK product but like anything else it need to be taken care of. I think I might even have a method for touch up of scratches or wear but I have not tested my theory yet...

mike
Old 04-02-2009, 12:19 PM
Typical Buck

So would you guys say that weathershield is worth the extra 50 bucks that they charge for it or would you just go with the blued barrel? I think I've got my choices narrowed down to the black synthetic stock triumph but I wasn't sure whether it was worth it to buy the weathershield version or not. From some of the responses here, it looks like it's mostly for looks.....
Old 04-02-2009, 12:25 PM
Boone & Crockett

MO-KS_hunter

These are just my thoughts.... take it for what it is worth...

Blue is proven... Weathershield we are just learning about...

But still I am willing to give it a try

And again you have a lifetime warranty if the product fails...
Old 04-02-2009, 04:39 PM
Fork Horn

My Remington XCR has trynite (not sure if I spelled it right) coating that is Remington's version of weathershield...though Remingtons came out first. It has been great. However, I haven't heard much good about the weathershield. I am not sure if I would buy a TC Triumph with weathershield anymore...though for awhile I really wanted one.
Old 04-02-2009, 07:27 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: heinz57

would the WEATHER-SHIELD be the same as the product below ?????

http://www.nicindustries.com/guncoater.php
From what I understand it is the same, Cerakote.
Old 04-03-2009, 03:44 PM
Spike

I think the weathershield sounds more like a powder coating then a plating. To me anyways.