Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Speed Breech.....

Old 03-16-2009, 03:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Speed Breech.....

That's interesting I shall try that. Thank You. Lee
Old 03-16-2009, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: lemoyne
Grouse, is there a reason you have not shot Lehigh bullets out of a Triumph
like the tight barrel or something? I was thinking about trying a few, could you give me the diameter so I can get an idea of what sabot might work?
Lee
Dont really know why to be honest. I had two that hadnever been shot. Sabotloader got the one, and the other is the one i got from T/C. I hunted with a Triumph most of the year last year. The best sabot with the Lehigh will be the short black harvester in a triumph i bet. I might just shoot it this weekend.
Old 03-16-2009, 03:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bronko22000

Don't worry Grouse - Sabotloader knows I was just pullin his leg.
That's cool
Old 03-16-2009, 04:02 PM
kb1
Fork Horn

+1 on the short black harvesters.but i can"t understand wrapping the breechplug,I get almost no blow back in my triumph after 30rds.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:16 PM
Boone & Crockett

kb1

Kinda as I said probably not necessary, but I would really prefer to clean the tape out of the threads than grease...

Plus for me it it is just added insurance. Also it might help keep carbon out of the gas seal rings and protect the "O" ring a bit.

The Triumpgh is the cleanest 209 shooting gun I have ever owned and I can not tell you how happy I am about that.

Lee

It appears for me right now the 24 will be the sabot of choice in the Triumph. It is really tough to get a short black or even a 40/50 blue crush rib down the bore, but the 24, the regular MMP blue, and the Harvester 45/50 black 'crush rib' load very well. The 'crush rib' might even be a bit loose.

I like the 24 because it SEEMS to grip the projectile a bit better than the Harvesters. Bullet grip is important to me especially when I shoot .451 Noslers - if the sabot starts turning and the projectile slips inside and does not turn right away (one of Neutons) laws - I believe that could lead to accuracy problems... Probably just a difference in polymere formuation. Again, probably my imagination working overtime but....

Old 03-16-2009, 04:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

I also see no need for the tape with the Speed Breech. My Endeavor gets virtually zero blowback. Absolutely none where the primer seats and very, very little in the front. But it can't hurt.
Old 03-16-2009, 05:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

SWThomas

I also see no need for the tape with the Speed Breech. My Endeavor gets virtually zero blowback. Absolutely none where the primer seats and very, very little in the front. But it can't hurt.
Yep! - think that is what I said...
Old 03-16-2009, 08:02 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sabotloader

kb1

Kinda as I said probably not necessary, but I would really prefer to clean the tape out of the threads than grease...

Plus for me it it is just added insurance. Also it might help keep carbon out of the gas seal rings and protect the "O" ring a bit.

The Triumpgh is the cleanest 209 shooting gun I have ever owned and I can not tell you how happy I am about that.

Lee

It appears for me right now the 24 will be the sabot of choice in the Triumph. It is really tough to get a short black or even a 40/50 blue crush rib down the bore, but the 24, the regular MMP blue, and the Harvester 45/50 black 'crush rib' load very well. The 'crush rib' might even be a bit loose.

I like the 24 because it SEEMS to grip the projectile a bit better than the Harvesters. Bullet grip is important to me especially when I shoot .451 Noslers - if the sabot starts turning and the projectile slips inside and does not turn right away (one of Neutons) laws - I believe that could lead to accuracy problems... Probably just a difference in polymere formuation. Again, probably my imagination working overtime but....

My o ring has a couple of grooves in it, i noticed the other day before the range time.Take it from a guy who now knows.When you see this change it.There was a lotta clean up required last time after the range session.I thought it would be no big deal, wrong. I think this is a great idea and i will use it from now on.By the way sabotloaderwhat did TC ever say about the orings, did you order them?Just wondering how much they are i see they sell 3 packs on e-bay.

Old 03-17-2009, 07:01 AM
Boone & Crockett

hunting junkie

I talked to aTC techabout the speed breech last week. i asked about the gas seal rings and the "O" ring. The gas seal rings are not available from TC to the consumer - he indicated TC would replace them if the BP were mailed in.

'O' they come in a pack of three for $2.71 and $1.95 shipping...

He indicated the 'O' ring can be damaged as you tighten the ring up against it's seat especially if there is no lubrication. Not a real common thing but a possibility.

The teflon thought is left over from my other BP's. It works for me and is really easy - hope you might get the same results...
Old 03-17-2009, 08:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

After I soak and clean my Speed Breech I always wipe a little grease on the o-ring.