Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 300 xtp or gold dot? >

300 xtp or gold dot?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

300 xtp or gold dot?

Old 03-05-2009, 02:46 PM
Spike

Default RE: 300 xtp or gold dot?

Thanks for all the input guys, especially the pics of animals taken with the bullet. You can't ask for much better evidence than what the bullet should do than that. I used a .458 Speer hollow point flat nose 45-70 government bullet (300 grain) in the Shadow this seasonalong with the orange mmp sabotand killeda hog and deer with that combination. The expansion didn't seem to be the best although the hog was shot in the neck (don't expect a lot of expansion in that case) and the deer was shot at about 15 yards (again probably shouldn't expect a lot of expansion). I was justa little concerned that the rifle bullet might not expand as well at the velocity produced by 100 grains of RS as a pistol bullet would and figured I would try some of the non-mag xtp's or gold dots that I keep hearing so many good things about. I noticed the diameter of the gold dots are .451 for the 454 casull (300 gr.) bullets. Would it still be fine to use the .452 black harvester crush sabots with these? We have another public land hog season coming up in Georgia in about two weeks (kinda odd but we can use a muzzleloading rifle to turkey hunt on public land and are allowed to shoot any hogs that we run across so I will be hunting hogs during that time)and I was hoping to try out a new bullet. I appreciate all of the info.
Old 03-05-2009, 03:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

smokeblower

Both the 250 and the 300 grain Gold Dots are .452

Spreer does make a .451/300 grain Uni-core but it is not a gold dot....

Go to this web site:

http://www.speer-bullets.com/ballistics/bullets.aspx

and to the right of Product Number 3947 - click on Detail, while you are there check the BC of tht bullet.

Old 03-05-2009, 05:35 PM
Fork Horn

I have taken numerous deer using the speer 300 gr gold dot with a harvestor crush rib sabot in my omega. Very satisfied with the results. Never had the opportunity to try them on hogs though.