Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Which Gold Dot would be better for me? >

Which Gold Dot would be better for me?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Which Gold Dot would be better for me?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:24 AM
Fork Horn

Default Which Gold Dot would be better for me?

I will be placing my order through Midway soon for most likely some Gold Dots. Can some of you please give your opinion on what would be best for me based off of my current set up and hunting situation? I shoot a CVA Wolf with 100gr of 777 and 240gr XTPs. They do a pretty good job with accuracy, but I'm looking for a bullet that stays together better. My shots are typically within 50yds, but have the opportunity at 100yd shots every so often. Depending on accuracy, I plan on sticking to around 100gr of powder. I know many are shooting the 300gr, but if I'm shooting 100gr from a 24" barrel, won't the 250gr expand better than the 300s at the lower velocity? I also plan on buying the black, Harvester Crushed Rib sabots. I'm hoping it might be easier to get off a second shot with them. I get a pretty bad crud ring with my current combo and the Kleenbore primers, making it near impossible to w/o swabbing.

Thanks!

Mike
Old 03-20-2008, 08:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Which Gold Dot would be better for me?

MichaelH

This is strictly my opinion and other may have a different opinion. The .452/300 grain Gold Dot is probably more versitile. It will carry more energy and it will fly better over a greater distance (extended ranges).

The .452/250 on the other is my favorite for Whitetail. I personally believe i get quicker expansion at close ranges with this bullet vs the 300. This fact, I believe is very important when shooting a thin skinned Whitetail at close ranges. A couple of years ago I shot a realy nice 4x4 @ about 10 yards- the bullet went right through - made a very nice neat pencil hole through the animal. Same size whole in as out... He ran acouple hundred yards before pilingup - the worst part it was down hill. But that bullet was a300 grain Nosler Partition.

The gold dots will definitely stay together as they are bonded and have expansion control.

I am/was shooting a 100 grains of T7-2f and that is plenty - way plenty for Whitetail.

I am one of those lucky people that do not have the major "crud ring" problem with T7 - so I feel really confident in it.

What sabot are you normally shooting in the Wolf?

Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM
Fork Horn

Sabotloader,
Thanks for the quick reply! I'm shooting the black sabots that come packaged with the TC, 240 XTP Mags. I forgot to mention that this gun is strickly used for Whitetail. Your thought process is what's making me lean towards the 250s. Most of the deer that I've shot have actually been within 30yds, and I do like to hunt in inclimate weather, so the shorter they run with a bigger blood trail, the better.
Old 03-20-2008, 09:06 AM
Boone & Crockett

MichaelH

I would use the 250's without a doubt...but, there is an alternative that I have not explored yet myself. Speer makes a 270 grain .430 Gold Dot with the old soft point nose. that could be an awesome bullet also if your gun will shoot a 44 cal bullet well and most will. BUT, at this point I would be using the 250's - wait to you see the expanse of the hollow point on that bullet... when it fills up with tissue and fluid it can help but to expand.

The sabots that come packaged with TC bullets now-a-days should be a MMP HPH-24, so the "crush rib would definitely be slimmer, but also remember MMP makes a slim version also - HPH-3p-EZ load.

Here is a pic of some expanded Gold Dots that I tortued by shooting them into a water saturated clay (dirt)water bar @ 100 yards with 100 grains of T7..

Old 03-20-2008, 09:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

And here are some 300 grain Gold Dots shot into damp sandy loam at 100 yards.

Old 03-20-2008, 09:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

Semi

Those are really good looking bullets. I think Speer has got one of those "better ideals" with the Gold Dot
Old 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

michaelH, if your shooting the Wolf. I would go down to 85 grains T7 . I have found that pushing that short barrel at 100 grains did not give me consistent shooting patterns, flyers etc. I shot 250 shockwave easy load/ 85 grain T7 and was very happy.That Wolf is freaking deadly under 100 yards w/ that load.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

MichaelH, Love them Gold Dots have taken a number of deer and a boar with them, The deer were all taken with 250gr and all were bang flops,but for big bear elk moose ect. the 300gr is better.
Are you using 777-FFF if not you might want to try it or Pyrodex P often better in short barrels. Lee
Old 03-20-2008, 03:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Semisane

And here are some 300 grain Gold Dots shot into damp sandy loam at 100 yards.

"Thing of beauty, perfect mushrooms.". Chap
Old 03-20-2008, 06:01 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: lemoyne

MichaelH, Love them Gold Dots have taken a number of deer and a boar with them, The deer were all tken with 250gr and all were bang flops,but for big bear elk moose ect. the 300gr is better.
Are you using 777-FFF if not you might want to try it or Pyrodex P often better in short barrels. Lee
I'm using 777-FF, but I will have to give it a try when I'm out. Thanks to all who replied!

One more question: Does anyone know how similar the 250gr GD shoot to the 250gr XTPs? It would be nice to know if they pattern similar for target shooting.

Thanks again

Quick Reply: Which Gold Dot would be better for me?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.