Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Old Rifle, new scope Renegade SS >

Old Rifle, new scope Renegade SS

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Old Rifle, new scope Renegade SS

Old 02-24-2009, 12:18 PM
Dominant Buck

Default Old Rifle, new scope Renegade SS

I had a nice scope around the house, a 1.5-6x40mm illuminated Traditions brand, that I took off my Genesis. I had also bought a couple sets of quick release rings. So last night being bores, I took the 1x32mm scope off my Renegade with a 1-28 twist stainless steel Green Mountain Barrel and in its place mounted the other 1.5-6x40mm scope. So today I had to sight it in.

I first took a shovel and dug out my target stand so it could be moved. I always bring the scope in at 13 yards.

Aiming dead center on the big bull at 13 yards I shot #1 & #2. WOW that scope was off. So I made a big adjustment and was going to shoot at the center bull again, but decided to save it for longer ranges. So I aimed at the lower left bull and shot two more 3&4. Made an adjustment again and shot 5&6. On more adjustment and shot #7. That put me pretty good I figured.

So I moved the target back to 25 yards and aimed at the lower right bull and shot 8,9 & 10. Nice group and it had not moved all that much from the 13 yard target. So I moved the target all the way back to 63 yards.

At 63 yards the high left drift increased as I suspected. The first three shots showed that. So I made an adjustment and shot the next group 14-20. Being pretty sure I had the scope on, I adjusted for the last shot and put 21 where it belonged. I want to see what this rifle will do at long range.

I was shooting...

T/C Renegade with a 1-28 twist Stainless Steel Green mountain barrel
Traditions 1.5-6x40mm scope with traditions quick release mounts
110 grains of Graf's & Sons 2f black powder
Green Harvester crushed rib .44 caliber sabots
Hornady .430 .44 caliber 300 grain XTP's
RWS & CCI caps and I was swabbing with Rusty Duck (because of the black powder).

The barrel was not treated with Montana X-treme products. But for some reason that black powder was turning green fouling today and sticking like glue in the barrel. That was why I used Rusty Duck as it will take black powder out. I had a few mild hangfires, you know.. snap-boom. BUT nothing like yesterday with the Pyrodex RS. Also I had to swab a lot more then ususal today for some reason.

The powder charge seemed to have excellent power as the steel trap was really singing today. And that rifle does seem to like those .44 caliber XTP's. That to me would make a good deer load. I have no idea of the velocity.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Old Rifle, new scope Renegade SS

Real nice shooting and good report.Got to love a rifle that loves bulk ammo.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:34 PM
Dominant Buck

This stainless barrel from GMB is not fussy. I have no idea why. It really likes Shockwaves. Almost makes a person want to sell off their inlines. But I could never do that. It would ruin my collection..
Old 02-24-2009, 04:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report Cayugad. That .44 300 grain XTPshould make a real good long range bullet. I would guess your velocity is somewhere around 1650 fps. Hornady shows a BC of .245 for that bullet.

If the velocity is 1650 and you sight in with a 125 yard zero, you get a trajectory something like this.