Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Range Report, Harvester Hard Cast Bullets >

Range Report, Harvester Hard Cast Bullets

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Range Report, Harvester Hard Cast Bullets

Old 02-23-2009, 05:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Range Report, Harvester Hard Cast Bullets

On Sunday i fired the 280 grain Harvesterhard cast bullets in the Harvester crush rib sabot.

Gun: CVA Magnum Hunter
Scope: Redfield 4X32 Widefield
Bullet: Harvester 280 grain hard cast flat nose
Powder: 140 grains of 2F Goex Pinnacle
Primer: Winchester shotgun

This gun is sighted for the 300 grain .430 XTP bullet in the Knight sabot. Did not change the sight setting. Fired three shots at 50 yards without swabbing.

The three shots went into a group that measured 1 and 5/8th inches.Tookthe target to 100 yards and had the first two bullet holes touching.The thirdbullet wentnearly five inches directly to the right of the first two.

Plan on some doing some load development with this bullet. Will try 120 grains of Goex 3F Pinnacle.

Old 02-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Range Report, Harvester Hard Cast Bullets

Falcon... is there a reason you use such a large powder charge? I am not questioning your reason for it, just do you get the best accuracy with those big loads? With a hard cast bullet and that kind of powder charge, I would "guess" (you of course would know) you could blow through shoulder blades and shield on some of the tuffer critters.

What do you suspect caused that flier? Very interesting report. You got my attention. I will be looking for more from you with this bullet. Nice shooting there.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Falcon... is there a reason you use such a large powder charge?
Yes, that is too much powder. That gun was sighted in with the 300 grain XTP bullets as a backup gun for elk hunting. Next time i'm at the range it will get sighted in with 100-120 grains of Pinnacle and the Harvester 280 grain hard cast bullet.With Pinnacle a grey deposit forms in the last inch or two of the barrel. This can makeloading difficult. The more powder one uses the more deposit is formed. Sometimes i put a moist patch on the short starter to remove the deposit: This is followed by a dry patch or two.Did not do that on Sunday.

What do you suspect caused that flier?
Inattention to detail.Like a big kid i had towalk down to the target after the first two shots. When i came back to the bench i leaned into the gun for the third shot: Had not done this with the previous shots.

BTW: Sure is nice to be able to remove the breech plug with a long screwdriver.

Old 02-24-2009, 05:19 AM
Fork Horn

Hi Falcon,

The LFN hard cast has an Ideal velocity of 1500FPS according to Veral of LBT molds. I shoot my own cast of WW droped from mold into water, .451 330 grain smooth sided LFN in short black Harvestor sabots with 85 gr. of BH209 out of a 22" barreled Knight T-Bolt. my Crony registers 1478 FPS with this charge. I have cronyed 100 gr. of BH209 same gun and it tips my hat[:-] and goes over the crony at 1778 FPS. That will be a Killer also but will destroy a lot more meat!!! At a targeted velocity of 1500 FPS it should leave a 1" wound channel any direction you wish to fire it threw an animated target, even lenght wise. this channel will alow alot of blood out and air in, and that is the only purpose of a boolit I bleive.

Out of two different savage rifles these willl hold 4 to 5" groups at 300 yards using book loads. sighted 2" high at 100 puts them 4 to 5" blow the cross hair at 300. just under the cross hair at 175yrds (2" group), using Savage Book loads.

Old 02-24-2009, 03:26 PM
Boone & Crockett

Screwbolts, thanks very much for the information onhard cast bullets.The bullet i am using weighs 280 grains, is .44 caliber and is also smooth sided. Will reduce the powder charge and get that gun dialed in for them.Want to kill a good sized hogwith the Harvester 280 grain hard cast bullet and see just how well it does.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:33 PM
Fork Horn

I can't wait to hear how they do on Hogs, Your 280, I believe, is on of Veral's favorite ML Boolits

I believe it will perform awesomely.

Ken
CNY
Old 02-24-2009, 03:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: falcon

On Sunday i fired the 280 grain Harvesterhard cast bullets in the Harvester crush rib sabot.

Gun: CVA Magnum Hunter
Scope: Redfield 4X32 Widefield
Bullet: Harvester 280 grain hard cast flat nose
Powder: 140 grains of 2F Goex Pinnacle
Primer: Winchester shotgun

This gun is sighted for the 300 grain .430 XTP bullet in the Knight sabot. Did not change the sight setting. Fired three shots at 50 yards without swabbing.

The three shots went into a group that measured 1 and 5/8th inches.Tookthe target to 100 yards and had the first two bullet holes touching.The thirdbullet wentnearly five inches directly to the right of the first two.

Plan on some doing some load development with this bullet. Will try 120 grains of Goex 3F Pinnacle.

If your shooting tough critters,thesewill do the penetration game with little expansion,good bulletfor hogs thru both shoulders. 61" of penetration in these tests is pretty awsome. Price is great also.

http://www.snipersparadise.com/tsmag/July03/july03.htm

Chap

Old 02-25-2009, 02:41 AM
Fork Horn

Great info Chap, I have found they perform GREAT! you post says it all.

Old 02-25-2009, 03:11 AM
Boone & Crockett

gleason. chapman, thanksfor the excellent chart.