Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 scope or peep Renegade .54.? >

scope or peep Renegade .54.?

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

scope or peep Renegade .54.?

Old 11-06-2007, 12:01 PM
Typical Buck

Default scope or peep Renegade .54.?

Been having trouble seeing the open sights in fading light this week deer hunting.It's a factory GM 1-70 barrel shooting 100gr FFG /.018 patch/.530 ball. Hate to make it look modern scoping it but eyes are not so good at focusing in poor light.Would a Lyman peep with the target apparture removed be better and still look period? My conical barrel needs replacing as the previous owner put it away dirty and it rusted bad.I'd like to get someone to bore it out to 20ga with a jug choke..........Thanx Harold
Old 11-06-2007, 12:08 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: scope or peep Renegade .54.?

A Thompson Center Peep sight should also fit that barrel as it is a tang peep they sell. You can remove the aperture and make it look a lot more authentic then the Lyman Peep. When the light is good, then put the aperture back in place and it will be a good target sight. Remove the aperture and shoot through the ghost ring and you should be ok.
Old 11-06-2007, 12:14 PM
Typical Buck

Are they currantly available from TC as they won't ship "a gun part" to Canada? I guess E-Bay won't sell gun parts either.Eventually a deer will step out I can see with the iron sights for now.Just finished grinding and wrapping moose burger..............Thanx Harold PS How did your shotgun project turn out?
Old 11-06-2007, 01:21 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: Pioneer2

Are they currantly available from TC as they won't ship "a gun part" to Canada? I guess E-Bay won't sell gun parts either.Eventually a deer will step out I can see with the iron sights for now.Just finished grinding and wrapping moose burger..............Thanx Harold PS How did your shotgun project turn out?
Ihave a T/C peep sight around here I took off the tang of a Renegade. I repaced it with a 1X scope. This is the tang sight peep with the fill adjustments.

The shotgun has worked out real good. 80 grains of Goex 2f and 90 grains of #5 shot. I found that if I use the over the powder card, then an over the shot card, then shot then another over the shot card, I get the best groups. It shoots just a touch low and right at 25 yards, but nothing to get excited about.

I have been grouse hunting with it. I have managed to take two of them rockets so far. Missed one this morning in the snow storm. Actually I had a lot of flushes, but the ones that were "possible" shots, I am doing pretty well so far. I should have a few more as I caught one in a tree, but flushed him to give him a chance, then missed it. I should have just blasted him. Also I have taken a couple pine squirrels and sent them to rob that big bird feeder in the sky.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a T/C peep mounted on my Hawkins.
I had given up shooting it even for fun as I just could not see the sights or target as one should. I aquired a Winny model 94 with a lyman peep which worked for me so decided to peep the Hawkins. Works great for me and removing the apture and useing the ghost ring works as early or late as I care to hunt.

Al
Old 11-07-2007, 08:17 AM

I am hoping to have one of the T/C peeps and fiber optic front for my Renegade here in a few days. Birthday is next week and I have hinted very strongly that INEED them. Even passed out phone #'s and part #'s. My dad is an avid shooter so I'm hoping he will get the job done.