Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 New 45 Encore barrel >

New 45 Encore barrel

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

New 45 Encore barrel

Old 04-20-2003, 05:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default New 45 Encore barrel

Got a break in the weather the other day and got to shoot a few rounds in my new 45 cal barrel in 1:28 in twist,since the 1:20 wouldn' t hit a bull in the ass at 25 yds I think this one is going to do very much better.Will try to post a pic of a 5 shot group.I only tried 100 grs of ,cleanshot,pyrodex pellets and T7 then but after adjusting the load I think I can get tiny groups with it.If the weather ever cooperates,think it has rained here at least once a week since Sept. seems like everytime I get a chance to go to the range it is raining.
These were shot using T7 100 grs,195 grs barnes bullet.not that a great of a group yet but it sure beats what I was getting from the 1:20 twist barrel.If I were going to buy a new encore 45 cal I would make sure it had the new 1:28 in twist barrel.

Old 04-25-2003, 03:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: New 45 Encore barrel

Keep us posted on how u like it, im putting some money up for an encore and not sure if i want to go with the 45 or 50 yet. I guess i could go with the 45 and get the 50 cal barrel if i hunted anything bigger than deer.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Treedog,I know it everyones preference, but I have both barrels in 45 and 50 cal.If I was going to get only one barrel I think i would go with the 50.I hope I can get the 45 to shoot as good as the 50 cal,so far it looks promising.I have been working on a 270 wsm and haven' t had much time to work on the 45 cal yet.
I shoot the same bullet in the 50 cal and 6 consecative 3-shot groups I got less than .3 in at 100 yds.There are some pics of these in one of my other posts.So if I can get the 45 to do this would be great.
Hope you get yours soon as you can,believe you will really like it,I have knights and rugers also but I love to shoot the encore because it feels so much better to me.
Old 04-25-2003, 07:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

How do u like your 270 wsm? i have a model 70 featherweight i plan on taking to the range next friday topped with a nikon buckmaster. I guess i will go with the 50 but it will be a few months before i have one. I belive ive seen ur groups posted on here before u shot with ur 50 cal encore, was very impressive.
Old 04-26-2003, 05:28 AM
Typical Buck

I love the 270 wsm,never thought I would like a mag because of the recoil,and never had a Browning before but decided to try one and it fits my shoulder like the encore does,just feels so natural to shoulder it.For an out of the box rifle this thing is awesome.I have the load I am going to shoot in it this year I think,went to the range Wed. and it shot some unbelievable groups for me.100 yds-.328,200yds-
.997,300yds-1.875.
I will get off the 270 because this is the black powder forum but if you need any help in working out a load for your Win let me know and I will try to help as much as I can.
Old 05-04-2003, 10:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

Herman, glad that new barrel is showing promise. Mine is also lookin' much better but the bore is also much tighter than the 1:20 was. Mics at about .449" . Hard to load but I' ve given it a good JB working since I last shot it and will see if that helps at all.
Old 05-05-2003, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

I gave mine a good workout with JB' s too,it was tighter than the 1;20.Hope I get the time to shoot more after this week,its the last week of turkey season.between trying to go once a week and the 270 wsm and building a tower blind and doing the yard and house work in between the rain its a job trying to find time.About got the tower blind finished ,like 3 more windows and a paint job.to make it worse still haven' t gotten a turkey close enough yet.
And too been waiting for the new SST muzzle loader bullets to get on the shelf,Hornady said they would be out in June if they shoot as good as the regular bullets they will be great.
Still raining 4th day in a row now.
Old 05-21-2003, 02:04 PM
Typical Buck

UNDERCLOCKED, I got to go to the range this morning and really gave the 777 another go,I started at 100 grs and worked up to 120 grs using the same bullet I use in my 50 cal. 195 barnes,at 100 yds they were scarrted every where,didn' t get any kind of group what so ever.also tried the power belt areo and hollow point in 195 gr,and 225 gr.Using the 777 if I didn' t clean between each shot I could not get the bullet down the barrel,and the power belts would go down without a spit patch between each shot but I did it anyway so I didn' t have to worry about one getting stuck in the barrel.
After that I cleaned the barrel good and tried them with 2 pyrodex pellets still no groups,worked up to 130 grs of pyrodex select still no group changed scopes to no avail,thought it must just be me so I got my 280 out and shot a .7 four shot group,so I figured it wasn' t all me.
The last time I was at the range I shot 80 and 90 grs but the lower charge didn' t help with the group size.it drizzled rain all the time I was there maybe that had something to do with it too.
Going to take my 50 cal barrel back next time and see if it shoots the same as it did last year.

Old 05-23-2003, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

herman, TC tech told me the 45 grouping well is tricky tricky tricky. They can' t get it to group right as of about a year ago. Maybe they' re fixed their problem by now but I don' t know.
Old 05-24-2003, 05:00 AM
Typical Buck

I think the TC tech is very right,I thought when the 1;28 twist came out it would be a piece of cake getting it to shoot 200 or less gr, bullets,the first time I took it out it showed big promise but the next time it shot all over the place.
Year before last I got a knight disc in 45 and found a load for it after many,many trys that shot one hole groups @100 took a deer with it at 155 yds. Last yr I had the 50 shooting one hole groups (had some pics in one of my old posts)using the same bullets I am trying to get to shoot in the 45.The main reason I got the encore was to play with it at the range and to hunt with,I enjoy the challenge of getting it to shoot,it really makes you scratch your head sometimes.I usually go to the range one day a week but have to divide the time up between the reg rifles and the muzzleloaders.Love to shoot and wished I could go every day of the week.
I have a ruger 77/50 to shoot 240 and 250 gr bullets in and if they all shoot as good as this one does,I think they are the most underrated muzzleloader out there.It doesn' t make one hole groups every time but it has dropped every deer I have shot at from 25 to 150 yds.

Quick Reply: New 45 Encore barrel

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.