Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung? >

Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?

Old 02-05-2009, 07:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?

This is got me wondering, I just read a forum where Cayugad and Sabotloader were talking about cleaning ML's. I think they mentioned that they dont use a Brass Brush for cleaning their ML's unless they shot conicals, then the brush would be used to remove the lead. I have alway's used a brass brush at first to remove the most of the fowling from the barrel, then followed up with No13 Bore Cleaner, then oiled. Am I wrong to use the brass brush if I done shoot conicals and just use sabots? Will just patches remove the plastic left in the bore from the sabots? Will the brass brush harm the barrel? say wear it out? I did'nt think so as I thought brass was softer than the barrel and would'nt hurt it. Who's right and who's wrong? or does'nt it matter? Ron
Old 02-05-2009, 07:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?

Sorry guy's I can spell CLEANING, my computer has a mind of it's own sometimes!
Old 02-05-2009, 07:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Breechplug

Just posted an answer over in my other 'incidental' post...

mike
Old 02-05-2009, 07:35 PM
Dominant Buck

many recommend a brass brush to remove such things as lead, copper, and plastic fouling. Also I am finding that it seems to really work up carbon or fouling or what ever it is, when I use the Montana Cowboy Solvent. I use a brass brush when I think there might be something in there that is sticking to the bore.
Old 02-05-2009, 07:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

Brass is a softer metal i don't see no way it could hurt the barell. The brush will wear out thats why they are
made from brass
Old 02-05-2009, 07:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Thank's Dave, I too just thought it was good for the fowling and has always cleaned the bore spotless. I just assumed there was plastic fowling there also as I could'nt see it as the barrel was fowled. I answered Mikes reply to me in the other forum, I asked if the brass brush caused and premature wear to the bore or damaged it in any way, but I did'nt think it would as brass was softer then steel. Any thought's on this? From now on I'll just try the solvents or (Windex Patches) and oils and see If I can get it as clean as befor. Ron
Old 02-06-2009, 02:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Brass brushes are fine to use in the bore. The military has been using them to clean their weapons forever. If you're still kind of squemish about it, use a nylon one.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:57 AM
Typical Buck

I usually go one size up on the brass brush and I've never seen any damage to the barrel. A good gun oil will protect the bore.I usually use hot water in the bore and wipe it down while still hot and apply the gun oil while hot as when it cools it draws it into the pores of the gun.
Old 02-06-2009, 11:39 AM
Boone & Crockett

I always use a brass brush at the start of the cleaning same as you - to remove the heavier fouling. Also, i feel the bristles get into the corners of the lands and gooves better. However, if using a copper solvent you have to remember that brass and bronze brushes contain a high amount of copper. So this solvent will attack the brush. My recommendation if using such a solvent is to either use a nylon brush or when you are done, to give your brass or bronze brush a quick wash with soapy water and hot water rinse.
Old 02-06-2009, 04:41 PM
Giant Nontypical

i always run a brass brush in my .50 cal bore ifi shot a lot, like 20 shots at range with MAXIBALL or a powerbelt.

if only couple of shots, like 5 or so, i just use cleaning patch etc.

using roundball,i dont think i would use a brush to often.

l

Quick Reply: Do I need a Brass Brush For Cleanung?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.