Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Question about sighting in my new scope. >

Question about sighting in my new scope.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Question about sighting in my new scope.

Old 01-21-2009, 02:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default Question about sighting in my new scope.

I have never even shot a gun with a scope on it before, so I am all new to this. Most of my shots in the woods will be between 50-100 yards with some under 50, and maybe some more then 100. Anyways, when sightinig in my scope, what yardage should I set it at. Do you set it in so I am dead center at 50, and then aim high for 100 or more? ( forgive me, I know this all sounds simple, but I am used to shooting archery not ML) Thanks for any advice you can give me.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:12 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Question about sighting in my new scope.

I have about the same circumstances as you. Unlike some that have to shoot extreme distances, most my shots are under 50 yards and there is a chance I could shoot out to 100 yards. So I like to sight my scopes in at 75 yards and then just learn the drops.

At the close ranges aim dead center in the kill zone and even if two inches high, you will be in the zone. And the same at 100 yards, aim at the top of the kill zone and the little drop slides them in there also.

This is just my way. I suggest you think about where 99% of your shots are at and sight for that..
Old 01-21-2009, 03:15 PM

As with open sights, you will sight your scope in for the distance you intend to use it. Since it doesn't sound like long range seems to be a heavy consideration for you, a 100yd sight in job would probably be ideal. Just check your point of impact at the other ranges you would shoot at normally.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Thanks guys, that is exactly what I was looking for.
Old 01-21-2009, 03:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

I do it a little differently...

I could have a shot out to 150 yards, so I sight in 2 1/2 inches high at 100 yards and I'm 3 inches low at 150...This is as far as I plan to shoot, so I just hold for a high shoulder shot at 150...Now, this is the important part, from 10 yards to 125 yards, I just hold dead center of the shoulder and pull the trigger...

Sighted in 2 1/2 high at 100 is only about a inch and a half high at 50...

Now, you might not want to go as high as 2 1/2 high at 100, but I'd go an inch high at 100, just in case you see one at 125 and hold for 100...With your gun sighted in a inch high at 100, you'll never know the difference at 50...

Old 01-21-2009, 05:09 PM
Boone & Crockett

Depending on what load you are shooting, you can probably sight in to be about two or three inches highat 100 yards and, by aiming for the kill zone,be no more than a few inches off all the way out to 175 yardswithout worry about holding over orunder.

Consider this. My hunting load is a 300 grain bullet over 105 grains of powder with an average velocity of 1670 fps. This is not a particularly fastor flat shooting load, but if I sight in to be two inches high at 50 yardsI should hitwithin three inchesof the point of aim at any distance out to 150 yards (i.e. no more than three inches high on close shots or three inches low on long shots). Once you arrive at your hunting load someone here can likely give you a pretty fair esitmate of your velocity andrough trajectory figures. It will then be up to you to verify the trajectory on the range.

EDIT: Corrected chart posted.
Old 01-21-2009, 05:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Try this forsighting in. I learned this from shooting a Bow. Draw a straight line on a piece of cardboard (horizional) and sight in on that line, dont worry about where they go on the line, you just want to be on the line for now. I usually do this at 30 yds to start off. Once your happy with them all on the line, move the target to 50 yds and do the same, once on the line I move the sight up and then shoot so Im about 2" high above the line at 50yds. Now draw a line up and down on the target to sight in for left and right, move the scope accordingly untill all the shots are on the line again. Now shoot at 50yds and all your shots should be 2"high at 50yds and tightly grouped. This will put you dead on or a ltttle higher at 100yds. Trying to sight in for left and right all at once is tough, this may seem harder to do, but after you try it you'll never go back to the old way of trying to do the left, right ,up and down all at once.And you'll be surprised at how much more tight your groups are. This way your only concentrating on one aspect at a time of sighting in. I challange anyone to at least try this method and see for yourself at how much tighter your groups will be. This has helped many guys from our Bowhunting Club shoot quarter sized groups at 50yds with a Bow, and broadheads at that. And we now sight it our guns this way too.
Old 01-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Most of my shots are anywhere from 50 yards to 200 yards. Some may be slightly farther with the regular rifle but not many. So I sight in my guns at 100 yards and know where to aim from there. On the black powder guns it drops soo much faster than a rifle you do sometimes need to change where you aim.