Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 Sighting In New Scope >

Sighting In New Scope

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

Sighting In New Scope

Old 03-18-2004, 06:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Sighting In New Scope

I'm fixing to sight in a new scope. I figure now would be a good time to see what others have to say on this subject.
Old 03-18-2004, 06:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Sighting In New Scope

We need more info to help you out.
1. Are you mounting it yourself? Pretty easy to do
2. Will it be bore sighted or not? Not necessary but it helps
3. The distance you want it sighted in.
4. Gun, scope, caliber, bullets. Shotgun, rifle, pistol??
5. Will you be using a benchrest and sandbags or equivalent, or just shootin' freehand at a target?
Answer these questions and I'm sure plenty of guys would love to help you out.
6. Oh last, but not least not all of us speak "Drawl". What do you mean by fixing? Is your scope broken and you are trying to fix it?
Old 03-18-2004, 07:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just start with a good sized box, a marker, (make a dot on the box) and fire one at about 25yds. I move it accordingly and fire again. (Doesn't have to be exact)

Then when i'm within an inch or so at 25yds, I move to 100yds and complete the deal. I'll begin groups of 3 shots at 100yds to check stability and consistency of scope/gun/shooter.

Bore sighting will save some time/ammo. If it's a bolt, it's simple. If it's a pump or auto, you'll need a commercial bore sighter.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yep Handles , I'll be mounting the scope myself . I always get them bore sighted before I start, to save a few rounds. I seldom get a shot out to 200 yds around here ( 40 - 80 yds being the norm ) This rifle is a Remington 700 ADL in 270 cliber. I'll be mounting a Nikon Buckmaster 3x9x40 ( I know theres better scopes ) And using leopold rail and rings. I'll be shooting from a bench. Sorry you don't understand the southern drawl , but thats okay, I don't understand ya'll sometimes either. New gun , new scope, no malfunctions.
Old 03-18-2004, 08:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

Also I will prolly start with whats most easy to get around here which will be remington core-lok in 130 grain. If it don't shoot that then I'll go from there.
Old 03-18-2004, 12:54 PM

I do just as Pro-Line described. Nothing wrong with your setup either. The ADL and the buckmaster combo should shoot just fine. I like the 130gr in the 270 and if ya can get your hands on some Hornady factory loads try them if the Remington's don't do well. I have always had good results with Hornady accuracy.

Southern drawl? Where ya from?
Old 03-18-2004, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great idea starting with the core-locts. 1. Easy to find 2. pretty cheap.
I would do just as proline said, make sure to get at least 2-3 shots right in the bullseye before moving to 100 yards. Once you get on at 100 with the corelocts you can then try to see if your gun likes other ammo. However those 130's will kill very well. Make sure to slowly squeeze that trigger.
Old 03-18-2004, 05:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well I thank you guys for the input. Everything you say sounds right on to me. What do ya'll do about gluing your scopes down? I know I'm gonna lok-tite the rail down , but have'nt decided about the rings yet. And what do you think about the windage adjustment on the leupold rail ? It kinda worries me cause it just looks like something else to work loose. Thanks a lot guys. . .I do appreciate the info.