Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Good shots - little to no blood trail >

Good shots - little to no blood trail

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Good shots - little to no blood trail

Old 01-27-2010, 04:19 AM
Fork Horn

Two seasons ago I shot a buck, a 25 yard shot. The bullet, a 58 caliber PRB struck him high behind the right shoulder exited low behind the left shoulder. The deer took off as if he hadden't been hit. A few seconds later I heard him crash. He had ran 60 yards and fell. I found a single drop of blood about 10 feet from where he landed. He never kicked a leaf out of place where he fell. His lungs and heart were destroyed. lung cavity was full of blood.

Since the bullet placement was near perfect I can only surmise that since his heart wasn't pumping, the only blood loss was from gravity. Most of the times I have shot deer with this rifle there has been a very easy to follow blood trail. I believe there are a lot of variables that can affect the amount of external blood loss in an animal.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Use the Barnes TEZ for a great blood trail.
Old 01-28-2010, 02:35 PM
Typical Buck

"OUCH" anouther HORNADY SST horror hunting story ..the sst is perfect on paper but for hunting i'll use BARNES mz .250 gr. yes i know the BARNES cost more but when hunting deer u only need 1 well placed bullet ..so cost should not be a factor ...
Old 01-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by heinz57
but when hunting deer u only need 1 well placed bullet ..so cost should not be a factor ...
couldnt have said it better!
Old 01-28-2010, 03:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

The key to that is well placed, the neighbor claim he had hit two nice bucks through the lungs this year and lost them because of no blood trail, I found both of them an 8 and a 9 point both were shot through the short ribs and the stomach plugged the holes no blood trail.
Old 01-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

I dont know if anyone else notices this but I live in the North and the Deer eat there buts off putting on a good Fat reserve to make it through the Hard Winters here. A-lot of thimes the shots on deer are perfect and a-lot of times there's no blood trail as the Fat sometimes real thick plugs up the entrance and exit holes. They say that the more fat on the deer the harder and colder the winter will be.
(BP)
Old 01-28-2010, 07:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Are you shooting from the ground or an elevated position?