Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Tried Blackhorn with mixed results.. >

Tried Blackhorn with mixed results..

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Tried Blackhorn with mixed results..

Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
mountaineer magic

Default Tried Blackhorn with mixed results..

Well i tried out the Blackhorn a couple days ago. It shot good in my Triumph but not in my CVA Kodiak Pro.
I tried it in the 45 cal. Kodiak first . a 100 grains with 200 gr 40 cal. Hornady sst/ml Federal primer. 7 shots ;5 no fires til second primer and 2 hang fires. I think the breech plug on the Kodiak is not allowing enough fire. It was seated good and very clean. The Triumph didn't give me that problem It fired good every time. It shot great out to 150 yards . Since it is still deer season here I didn't want to change my sights, so i left them as they are. 100 yards dead on with 100 gr. 777. The 100 yard shot with Blackhorn was 6 inches higher than with 777 but perfectly centered. at 150 yards it was 2 inches higher than with 777 and still centered, At 200 yards it disappeared. It wasn't on paper so I am not sure . I gave up after that since my 6 year old was having a birthday party. And if I wasn't there I might not live to see her turn 7
I picked up some 250 gr 45 cal XTP's and some 54 cal. hp knight sabots. I think it is time to experiment with the GPH 54 cal now. I plan on trying the xtp's and some scorpion pt gold in the sabots and see what happens with the 1:32 twist This is the last month of deer season. Muzzleloader ends jan. 31st. Bummer even thinking about it. 3 tags left though so the fun continues for a little while.

Old 01-03-2009, 03:35 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Tried Blackhorn with mixed results..

It sounds like the breech plug is the issue on the Kodiak.. I agree.

Its a shame this BlackHorn does not work in traditional rifles. BUT then it does not work in all inlines. Glad to hear it worked in your Triumph.
Old 01-03-2009, 05:11 PM
Fork Horn

The Triumph has a long breech plug plug like that of the Encore Pro Hunter. Is the breech plug of the Kodiak longer then the Truimp?
Old 01-03-2009, 06:14 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: Rock Fish

The Triumph has a long breech plug plug like that of the Encore Pro Hunter. Is the breech plug of the Kodiak longer then the Truimp?
The breech plug on the Kodiak is much shorter. The hole in the breech plug of the Kodiak is also much smaller. I think that is the main problem. The Triumph breech plug hole looks at least 50% bigger. The hole in the Kodiak looks almost the size of the # 11 nipple on my Lyman. I think either the Kodiak will require a breech plug conversion or it needs to be drilled out to get enough fire power. I had planned on trying Blackhorn in at least 4 of my inlines. My Omega,Triumph,Genesis and kodiak.

Old 01-03-2009, 06:28 PM
mountaineer magic

ORIGINAL: cayugad

It sounds like the breech plug is the issue on the Kodiak.. I agree.

Its a shame this BlackHorn does not work in traditional rifles. BUT then it does not work in all inlines. Glad to hear it worked in your Triumph.
Yea, I'll probably stick with RS select or 777 in my Traditionals. I have been using 2f triple 7 all season in my 54 cal. with great results out to 120 yards. I have a hard time seeing that far anyway. I have a bunch of shockey's gold left too but kinda quit using it this year.

Old 01-03-2009, 07:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

My son has an Apex, bassically the same gun as the Kodiak, and it has no problems with the BH209 powder as long as the bore and BP are clean and dry for the first shot. I do use CCI 209's instead of some of the lower power 209's to ensure ignition. Also I seat the bullet very tight against the powder, in fact I bump the T handle on my range rod with my hand a couple of times after it hits bottom just to make sure.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:38 PM

My daughter’s Kodiak .45 shoots BH209 good after I drilled out the breech plug 1/8" one end and .035" muzzle end. I found Win primers have never gave me a hangfire. I have tried Fed 209a and CCI209M. keep plug clean. Gun shoots 200 SW 90 bh209 1950fps 1-1.5"MOA.
Old 01-03-2009, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Sounds like the BH was giving you more power than 777 at the same volumetric load.