HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Tried Blackhorn with mixed results..
View Single Post
Old 01-03-2009, 12:08 PM
mountaineer magic

Default Tried Blackhorn with mixed results..

Well i tried out the Blackhorn a couple days ago. It shot good in my Triumph but not in my CVA Kodiak Pro.
I tried it in the 45 cal. Kodiak first . a 100 grains with 200 gr 40 cal. Hornady sst/ml Federal primer. 7 shots ;5 no fires til second primer and 2 hang fires. I think the breech plug on the Kodiak is not allowing enough fire. It was seated good and very clean. The Triumph didn't give me that problem It fired good every time. It shot great out to 150 yards . Since it is still deer season here I didn't want to change my sights, so i left them as they are. 100 yards dead on with 100 gr. 777. The 100 yard shot with Blackhorn was 6 inches higher than with 777 but perfectly centered. at 150 yards it was 2 inches higher than with 777 and still centered, At 200 yards it disappeared. It wasn't on paper so I am not sure . I gave up after that since my 6 year old was having a birthday party. And if I wasn't there I might not live to see her turn 7
I picked up some 250 gr 45 cal XTP's and some 54 cal. hp knight sabots. I think it is time to experiment with the GPH 54 cal now. I plan on trying the xtp's and some scorpion pt gold in the sabots and see what happens with the 1:32 twist This is the last month of deer season. Muzzleloader ends jan. 31st. Bummer even thinking about it. 3 tags left though so the fun continues for a little while.