Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Hornady FPB's

Old 12-29-2008, 08:21 PM

Default Hornady FPB's

Hey has anyone shot these yet and if so how did they do. I just bought some over the weekend to put through the Encore, looked like good pig ammo. Any experianced would be appreciated. Thanks
Old 12-29-2008, 08:28 PM
Banned

Default RE: Hornady FPB's

Loaded way to hard in my rifle.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:47 PM

Just for fun I shoved one of these down the pipe of a clean barrel. Took little to no pressure at all to send it to the bottom and out the breech. It was actually easier than shoving a Shockwave down a clean barrel. Noticed on the bullet that the only rifling marks were on the bottom 1/8 inch of the bullet. I have a couple of pictures I tried to upload but it told me the file was too large. So how do you put pictures on here and I'll put them on.
Old 12-29-2008, 08:56 PM
Banned

what kind of rifle are you loading them in? Mine was TC Omega with a .502" bore.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:01 PM

Mine is a Thompson Center Encore 209x50 Here is the pic, I figured it out how to put pictures on here.
Old 12-29-2008, 09:08 PM

Here is another pic, tried to make it smaller the first one was too huge. You can see the rifling marks at the base of the bullet. Wow the picture is still huge. Will adjust future ones to a smaller size. Sorry, still learning the picture part.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

They load easily and shoot well from my Genesis. I have re-loaded several bullets, and I get about the same markings on the ones I push out the breech.

I've shot 3 deer with them and they are a stout bullet that will fully penetrate. That's what I'm looking for in a 50 cal bullet, two holes.My load is 100 gr Pyrodex RS. I plan to try 110 and 120 over the summer. Sighted 2" high at 50, that is a 150 yd load.
Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: txfireman

Just for fun I shoved one of these down the pipe of a clean barrel. Took little to no pressure at all to send it to the bottom and out the breech. It was actually easier than shoving a Shockwave down a clean barrel. Noticed on the bullet that the only rifling marks were on the bottom 1/8 inch of the bullet. I have a couple of pictures I tried to upload but it told me the file was too large. So how do you put pictures on here and I'll put them on.
That is because the rear "skirt" part is bigger than bore size and the rest of the bullet is smaller. Kind of like a powerbelt without the plastic. That is also why they are somewhat hard to start in a rifle without a false muzzle (QLA). However, once they are started, they are relativetively easy to get down, unless you are using pyrodex and insist on shooting multiple shots without swabbing between shots, as Mountaindevil does. I have used them with 777, and with swabbing between shots, they are realatively easy to load. And with Blackhorn 209, I have fired as many as 30 shots without swabbing once.

I have shot them in my Omega and my KRB and they are great in both! There is a learning curve to starting them in the KRB, and I use a short starter to load them in this rifle. They have been the only conical my Omega will shoot accurately. I am getting 3 inch groups at 100 yards with OPEN SIGHTS. The best I ever did with powerbelts was 4 to 5 inches.

And, they are constucted to hold up better over a wider range of velocities than powerbelts. They are a great bullet for anything from hogs/deer to elk. I took an elk with 90 grains of BH 209 and the FPB this fall.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:51 AM
Boone & Crockett

My Encore has to have the zero checked with the FPB bullets. Earlier this month i killed two big hogs with that bullet but theywere not hit where i aimed. In cleaning the gun found out that the forward half of the barrel is leaded pretty bad: Perhaps from firing TC 370 grain Maxi-Balls.Maybe it will shoot the FPB a little better after i get the lead out of the barrel. [:@]
Old 01-04-2009, 09:55 PM
Fork Horn

I have been shooting them out of my Winchester Apex and all I can say is WOW! Easiest loading and best grouping projectile I have ever shot through it. Before I began shooting them I got the barrel extra clean first shot at 100yrds was dead on I just knew it would be way low since the powerbelts I was shooting with the same load and wereare much lighter were dead on at that range also. Next shot no barrel swab or anything 1" left then 6 more shots with out even swabbing the barrel they loaded just as easy as the first one and I had just under 2.25" group out of 8 shots! The powerbelts no matter what charge I tried never got better than 5.5" and that was the best I could get anything to shot. I shot a large doe at 65yrd and had an exit wound you could fist in Iwish I would have taken a pic. Then I shot a 37lb bobcat at 58yrds and put an exithole so big I just reached my hand in an pulled the guts out no knife needed. Took the cat to the taxidermis(sp) and he said what the hell do you shot this with a canon. He just couldn't believe the damage. With powerbelts I never had an exit wound on a deer. I shot4 deer andluckly all where recovered.

Oh I shoot 90gr or 777.

Quick Reply: Hornady FPB's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.