HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Hornady FPB's
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 05:47 AM
txhunter58
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Hornady FPB's

ORIGINAL: txfireman

Just for fun I shoved one of these down the pipe of a clean barrel. Took little to no pressure at all to send it to the bottom and out the breech. It was actually easier than shoving a Shockwave down a clean barrel. Noticed on the bullet that the only rifling marks were on the bottom 1/8 inch of the bullet. I have a couple of pictures I tried to upload but it told me the file was too large. So how do you put pictures on here and I'll put them on.
That is because the rear "skirt" part is bigger than bore size and the rest of the bullet is smaller. Kind of like a powerbelt without the plastic. That is also why they are somewhat hard to start in a rifle without a false muzzle (QLA). However, once they are started, they are relativetively easy to get down, unless you are using pyrodex and insist on shooting multiple shots without swabbing between shots, as Mountaindevil does. I have used them with 777, and with swabbing between shots, they are realatively easy to load. And with Blackhorn 209, I have fired as many as 30 shots without swabbing once.

I have shot them in my Omega and my KRB and they are great in both! There is a learning curve to starting them in the KRB, and I use a short starter to load them in this rifle. They have been the only conical my Omega will shoot accurately. I am getting 3 inch groups at 100 yards with OPEN SIGHTS. The best I ever did with powerbelts was 4 to 5 inches.

And, they are constucted to hold up better over a wider range of velocities than powerbelts. They are a great bullet for anything from hogs/deer to elk. I took an elk with 90 grains of BH 209 and the FPB this fall.