Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shooting sticks?

Old 12-24-2008, 09:09 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shooting sticks?

Not shooting sticks but I use something like this. Adjustable height and light weight. I use the single pole and my son likes the double set. $30 depending on where you get them.

Old 12-25-2008, 03:46 AM
Typical Buck

I got two sets on EBay they are called KIS-Stix™ heavier built than any I have seen and priced right at $18.00 plus shipping
Old 12-25-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dustyr

Anyone use them? Recommendations?

I've been dealing with another torn rotator cuff (surgery should be in the next couple of months), and find I can't hold my CVA up offhand long enough to get a steady sight picture. Was thinking shooting sticks will help a lot when hunting on the ground (had to do that a lot this season).
I bought one of these:

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/templates/product/standard-item.jsp?id=0054098229076a&navCount=7&podI d=0054098&parentId=cat20774&masterpathid=& amp;navAction=jump&cmCat=SEARCH_all-cat20774_TGP&catalogCode=XJ&rid=&paren tType=index&indexId=cat20774&hasJS=true

(Primos Trigger Sick, see image at bottom.)

I bought it for tree stand hunting, however when you see a deer you can't handle your gun and your shooting stick at the same time, trust me I know, especially if they are under 50 yards. So I bought one of these:

Now if I was ground blind hunting. I like the kind that Saxman1 had that looked like a camera stand:

I think that would be stable and do the trick. Kinda of expensive, but it keeps your hands free, it is here at Cabelas:

http://tinyurl.com/96qbzq

If I had to be mobile, then the Promos kind would be my choice, since it can be a walking stick and adjusts, you can even shoot it standing or sitting. Also consider "sling sticks":

I have not triedthe sling stick personally, but they look cool and fit in the sling, which is great for mobility. Those are the choices in my opinion. Weight is important, for stand huntign no big deal, but for hunting a lotta different stands, the sling stix or the Primos Trigger stick would be my choice. Hope that helps.
Chap

Old 12-25-2008, 08:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Roger46982

I got two sets on EBay they are called KIS-Stix™ heavier built than any I have seen and priced right at $18.00 plus shipping
This is the image on Amazon:

To imbed an image in a post WITHOUT uploading the FILE or saving it to .jpg (universal format for images), do the following:

1) go to www.google.com and search for "KIS-STix", that returns this Google search:

http://www.google.com/search?sourceid=navclient&ie=UTF-8&rlz=1T4GZAZ_enUS226US226&q=KIS%2dStix

2) The1st link hadthe "KIS-Stix" on Amazon, which always has good pictures on THEIR server.

3) Click on the 2nd link, which is this:

http://www.amazon.com/KIS-Stix-44-Magnum-Simple-Shooting/dp/B0015KTNH0

4)

5.) highlight the file name with your mouse, which is in the "Address URL field on the Properties of the Image":

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61HaidgCeOL._SL500_AA280

and do a "Control-C", that copies the URL to the Windows Paste buffer

6) Now in your post choose the little "Image" Icon over on the RHS.
this pops up a "Explorer User Prompt"
highlight the http://
then hit Control-V (the Control-V, pastes the URL into the field)
this pastes the URL in the User Prompt
type a .jpg at the end of the URL if it doesn't have it (some servers append this automatically, but since your directly accessing this URL, it won't append it, you not using their navigation)
Hit the OK button

7) the image, http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/61HaidgCeOL._SL500_AA280.jpg
shows up in your post.

8) Your done. Now you try it yourself over here:

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tt.aspx?forumid=43
Old 12-25-2008, 09:10 AM
Dominant Buck

One of the best shooting sticks I ever used was in Canada one year. I had booked a Moose Hunt and wouldn't you know it, before it came, I broke my leg. Well they thought I was all through, and would not go. But I went on that hunt, and I walked on crutches through the brush and all over. Them crutches were some of the best shooting sticks I ever had. They were padded and had two different shooting levels, the upper or the hand grips.
Old 12-25-2008, 09:44 AM
Fork Horn

There are a lot of the "kneel and shoot" sticks but I like to sit on a fold up stool in addtion to deer stands especially when hunting new areas. It also gets me off the ground a little higher above the ground clutter. I found that the Bob Allen monopod @ Dick's Sporting Goods for $20.00 is real nice. I have an older model. What I really like about them is the levers that you lock the heigth with. No twist knobs to rotate. Very fast. No one make shooting sticks inbetween 39"-72" anymore and youneed 49" approx for sitting on a stool. I do have a set of the shooting sticks and really like them best cause they do fold up tight and set in an instant. The Bob Allen is the next best thing for my application cause of the height.
LOL, Steve
Old 12-25-2008, 10:28 AM
Giant Nontypical

most of time when i am walking, you see a deer and you cant MOVE.

now, this is only when walking on path or pipeline etc.

in woods without path, you can sometimes use just tree BUT i lost many of buck because i did not have a walking stick on path etc.

so, i took a treated lumber 2x4x6 and cut it fairly ROUND with my cicular saw.

then i took my table grinder and rounded the wood the rest of the way.

i took walnut stain and stained it.

i then took those little hangers with vinyl coating you get at wal-mart hunting area for under 1 dollar.

get the real small ones, you muzz with sit in them nice.outside edge is turned up so you wont slip off.

next , i went out with gun and used deer in fields to get idea of about how high the hook should be.

i put2 hooks into the 2x4,one up above for standing and other, i sat down on ground with deer feeding and took a marker, and marked the spot.

reached in my pocket and twisted in both hangers.

now i can stand/sit and have rest.

my biggest problem is after i sit i have a hard time getting up and that walking stick really helps.

cost was around 5 dollars for everything,and if you lose it ,so what, you can make another one.

for some reason i never have tree to lean on and most of bucks i see in muzzleloader season are jumping i front of me on path or in field edge and have spotted me, if i take 1 step to get to a tree, THAT BUCK IS GONE.