Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Guns
 shooting sticks >

shooting sticks

Community
Guns Like firearms themselves, there's a wide variety of opinions on what's the best gun.

shooting sticks

Old 07-28-2008, 11:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default shooting sticks

i am wanting to get a set of shooting sticks for use in a pop up ground blind or when walking scouting in big fields

I would like something that i can shoot standing up or in a chair in the blind
i am 6'4 i saw some of cabelas but most had mixed reviews

Old 07-28-2008, 03:53 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: shooting sticks

I like the Stoney Point Rapid Bypod. Have one on my remington 700xcr 270wsm. Steady and rotates 360 degrees also gives flexabity if you need to canter the gun on uneven ground. Connnects to gun quickly and I use it for a walking stick.Took a doe last season at 298yds. knealing. Also hitting rocks out to 500yds. in the sitting position. Heres a link so you can look at them.

http://www.stoneypoint.com/products/bp_rapid_pivot_bp_sitng_knlng.html
Old 07-28-2008, 06:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

I made mine...Go to Lowes Hardware, pick up a 1 inch diameter, 5ft long pcv pipe and another 5ft long pipe that will slide into the 1 inch (I can't remember if I used 3/4 or 1/2 inch)...

Buy a Tee or a Y for the outer pipe and a cap, caps are optional for the smaller...Wrap both with your camo duct tape and you have a shooting stick...

While standing, you leave the smaller inside the larger and just shoot off the top of the Y...For less elevation, extend the end of the stick further away from you...

To use as a traditional shooting stick, take the smaller out, make your X and hold with one hand at the pivet point, lay your gun in the X and fire away...

If you don't have room to make the X...Shoot off the side of the stick, using your hand as a rest for the gun...
Old 07-30-2008, 10:20 PM
Spike

For standing=Stoney Point Magnum Safari Stix. Setting in a ground blind=home-made with wooden dowel rods & string to lash them together.
Old 07-30-2008, 11:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Look at the ones at the Bufflao Arms website. They have one that works great. It is made of leather. Tom.
Old 07-31-2008, 12:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have both the single stick and double and found the single is much easier to use in ahurried situation . I'm not saying it's more accurate just easier to use.
Old 07-31-2008, 07:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Might laugh at me, but my "shooting sticks" set up is home made. Three hickory saplings about 3/4" in diameter and 5'6" long and a "band" made from a strip of rawhide wrapped several times firmly around the sticks. Stripped off the bark. Had these for I guess 35 years. Easy to adjust from seating height to standing height. Just roll the band to the preferred height and open the tripod. Not vertical ? slid ehte offending pole to the right height in seconds.

One draw back. No good in prone position.

Don't come any cheaper ... and not a bad walking stick !!! I'm old, I need one !!!

Hey, this tripod steadied me for a standing 350 yard kill shot on a fine Montana mule deer! So what if it ain't "slick"? Works for me.