Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 need a Powerbelt load >

need a Powerbelt load

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

need a Powerbelt load

Old 12-22-2008, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

Default need a Powerbelt load

I'm looking for a good load for .45 195gr. Powerbelts. I heard tell that these bullets lack hitting power. Makes no sense to me, as it seems that hitting power is a factor of the powder charge, and any bullet that gets up to an acceptable velocity will hit, but then I don't know much about muzzleloading.

The rifle is a CVA Eclipse Magnum with about a 22" bbl. It uses 209 primers.Propellant will be Pyrodex powder. I'd like to be able to take a whitetail at 75-100 yards.

Any input will be appreciated.
Old 12-22-2008, 08:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: need a Powerbelt load

go up to an 223 or 270gr powerbelt, start at 65grs would not go over 85grs of pyrodex rs.
Old 12-22-2008, 09:02 PM
Banned

with those 195's do NOT go ove 70gr pyrodex or 60gr triple 7.

You'd be much better off with the 225 or 275gr powerbelts. Max those out at 80gr powder.
Old 12-23-2008, 09:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: usmc1978

I'm looking for a good load for .45 195gr. Powerbelts. I heard tell that these bullets lack hitting power. Makes no sense to me, as it seems that hitting power is a factor of the powder charge, and any bullet that gets up to an acceptable velocity will hit, but then I don't know much about muzzleloading.

The rifle is a CVA Eclipse Magnum with about a 22" bbl. It uses 209 primers.Propellant will be Pyrodex powder. I'd like to be able to take a whitetail at 75-100 yards.

Any input will be appreciated.
that seems like light bullet for deer.

i would use heaviest bullet you can get and no hollow point bullet in a IN-LINE, I ASSUME THATS A IN-LINE GUN.

Only place i would use the hollow point powerbellts would be in a flinlock at lower speeds.

like in my hawkins .50 cal, i use 80 grs of 2f with a 295 hollow point pb.
348 is better bullet but i had a lot of 295 to use up.

DONT EVER PUSH A HOLLOW POINT POWERBELLET AT THOSE FAST SPEEDS .

i would use a different bullet in your gun and a solid tip one if i was after fast speeds for long range shooting.

hitting a deer at close range, under 100 yds with a fast powerbelt hollow point you are asking for a wounded deer and long day tracking.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a similar CVA .45 - a Hunterbolt, not the Eclipse, but similar. Mine shoots the 225 grain Powerbelt very accurately with 70 grains of powder (2" groups at 100 yards). I don't use this load anymore, but I have no doubt that it would work very well for deer hunting. I'd seriously consider using either the 225 grain or 275 grainers instead of the 195. I know that the 195 can and has killed many deer, but it is a bit on the light side. If you want to use the 195, I'd limit my powder charge to 60-70 grains of powder and only take broadside, behind the shoulder shots.
Old 12-23-2008, 10:18 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: oldsmellhound

I have a similar CVA .45 - a Hunterbolt, not the Eclipse, but similar. Mine shoots the 225 grain Powerbelt very accurately with 70 grains of powder (2" groups at 100 yards). I don't use this load anymore, but I have no doubt that it would work very well for deer hunting. I'd seriously consider using either the 225 grain or 275 grainers instead of the 195. I know that the 195 can and has killed many deer, but it is a bit on the light side. If you want to use the 195, I'd limit my powder charge to 60-70 grains of powder and only take broadside, behind the shoulder shots.

very well said and may save him wounded deer.

why hunters today want to push light bullets fast is beyond me.

most if not all muzz shots are under 100 yds most of time,with open sights, even less.

GO HEAVY WITH BULLET AND SLEEP AT NIGHT AND NO HOLLOWPOINT ONES dont know heaviest but i think 275 would work fine .
Old 12-23-2008, 11:59 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: sproulman

most if not all muzz shots are under 100 yds most of time,with open sights, even less.

GO HEAVY WITH BULLET AND SLEEP AT NIGHT AND NO HOLLOWPOINT ONES dont know heaviest but i think 275 would work fine .
Everyone keeps saying to not use hollowpoints in an inline, I just dont get it. I shot my doe this year at about 40 to 50 yards using a CVA Wolf (inline), and a 295 grain hollow point powerbelt, and 80 grains of loose 777 powder. She was dead ini her tracks. I recovered the bullet, and it mushroomed perfectly, and did not fragment.
Old 12-23-2008, 12:07 PM
mountaineer magic

For the 45 If I was going to use a powerbelt I would go with the 300gr platinum in a 45cal. If you want a lighter bullet I would use the Hornady sst 200 gr. You can push it as fast as you want and out to 250 yards it will have plenty of killing power.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: BigDaddy12t

ORIGINAL: sproulman

Everyone keeps saying to not use hollowpoints in an inline, I just dont get it. I shot my doe this year at about 40 to 50 yards using a CVA Wolf (inline), and a 295 grain hollow point powerbelt, and 80 grains of loose 777 powder. She was dead ini her tracks. I recovered the bullet, and it mushroomed perfectly, and did not fragment.
most will use 100/150 grs and shoot doe at 30 yds.

that is reason we dont like hollow point bullets.

you used a low speed,GREAT JOB.

its fine but most with their in-lines want to shoot at 150/200yds,so they load up fast,or HOT with load.

thats a big mistake with any hollow point bullet.
Old 12-23-2008, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks to all of y'all for your input. I'm not in a position to get the heavier bullet before the season opens, so I'll be using the 195s. I'll be sticking with the broadside, behind the shoulder shots inside of 75 yards. I try to resist the longer shots---too many invisible twigs between here and there.

Hopefully I'll be able to report a doe in a few days. Already got the buck in bow season.

Merry Christmas!

Quick Reply: need a Powerbelt load

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.