Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Curious... What makes a T/C that much better >

Curious... What makes a T/C that much better

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Curious... What makes a T/C that much better

Old 12-17-2008, 04:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Curious... What makes a T/C that much better

I'm a nitpicking sunny gun when it comes to my muzzleloaders. I also try to be honest. There simply is nothing seriously wrong with the Accura and its going to be around for awhile. My opinion IS FACT.
Old 12-17-2008, 10:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Thompson Center seems to have a corner on the muzzleloader market. Yes, there are still a lot of muzzleloaders being sold by other companies, but it seems like most people consider T/C the "Cream of the Crop". Why is that? Is it because it's whatmost ofthe pro's use? Is it because they actuallymake higher qualityguns than other companies? Or is it simply a mind thing and people just equate quality with price?

Just curious as to your opinions on this question....
service/quality of guns.
Old 12-19-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: sproulman

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Thompson Center seems to have a corner on the muzzleloader market. Yes, there are still a lot of muzzleloaders being sold by other companies, but it seems like most people consider T/C the "Cream of the Crop". Why is that? Is it because it's whatmost ofthe pro's use? Is it because they actuallymake higher qualityguns than other companies? Or is it simply a mind thing and people just equate quality with price?

Just curious as to your opinions on this question....
service/quality of guns.

That's why I love my T/C's.....
Old 12-19-2008, 07:58 PM
Typical Buck

Love my TC Pro Hunter (cause I have one). Most accurate gun I have ever owned (no matter what I stuff down the barrel...240 xtps, 250 sw, 275 Parker BE---90 gr BH209, 100 gr, settled on 110gr but not sure why)

Love Lyman Deerstalkers too (cause I have one).

I think I love the CVA Accura (cause I think I will be getting one this winter).

These are my "opinions" (Cayuga is right)
And these are also facts (similar to UC).
Old 12-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Fork Horn

Pretty interesting topic. I have not been on the forum for many many moons. Bought a little piece of heaven, got a grandson, and was just tied up!
I work for a firearms distributor so I'm in contact w/many manufactures products and dealers 40hrs a week plus attending LE/Commerical shows like the Shot Show in January. While I agree w/what most have said, design changes is what pushes the "market" otherwise we all would be still shooting flint or hammers and would never try anything new.I personally have never had the pleasure to sight in a flinter. My first BP rifle was a TC Hawkenwhich my son used to kill his first deer. My first inline was in 2000and purchased a used TC thunderhawk shadow that I convered to 209. I great shooter. I just sold it last week end to a new shooter for his son. I loved the design of the pull back and turn down the bolt/striker that also was the safety. The blk diamond added the saftey lever. What I didn't like and still do not like on any BP rifle is a turn bolt. The blk diamond and the Thunderhawk smoke your scopes and you also gain an extra 4-5" for the turn bolt w/ the striker. Like mentioned above it is just an opinion. The yr the Omega came outI jumped on one. A 28" rifle that was the same length was my 24" Thunderhawk! I got the SS/Syn 8924 and unfortnatually its design was not novel. Before the Civil War a german designer tried to get the Union to produce a similar design as the Omega as their duty rifle but to no avail.It's basic designlooked similar to the Omega. I personally like the simple barrel design w/ the low comb for rifle sights even though my eyes can't use them anymore. I always thought Knight was one of the best but never liked the "Disc" system only because if the companywent under the rifle would be obsolete. While some claim the Omega's is easy to clean it is only on the fact the breech plug comes out but to really clean it takes plenty of time w/ a SS dental pick to really get the threads clean otherwise you will get corrusion. I have looked over the Triumph pretty well and while the breech plug is a thumb turner it does have moving parts that some day will have to replace including O rings. Hey it is something you MUST repalce on a regular basis. The Omega breech plug should last longer than many of us. They are way cheaper to buy a spare too.
So my point is while technology has some merit when you pull the trigger if you can't hit what you aim @ whether it a fea market special, a custom or production rifle a miss is still a miss. What ever design you favor is just that.
I hurt my left arm recently and have not been able too lift much. After carring my Omega for hours @ a time I need a lighter rifle. So now I just added a new requirement..... and have just started looking. Darn I wishI hadn't sold that ultra light Thunderhawk!!!!!!!
Hope you all had a great season.
Steve in NY
Old 12-20-2008, 10:30 PM
Boone & Crockett

Just got back from a three day hunt, and read this thread from start to finish. I have come to the conclusion that EVERYONE IS RIGHT. (And that's a FACT!)
Old 12-20-2008, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

.........lol.... yep... pretty much.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have a love/hate relationship with TC. I love the G2 Contender, but think the Encore is a piece of crap. Now before you all get your panties in a knot, this is my personal experience. When it comes to my G2, I have had great service. I must admit I only had to send back one barrel and they fixed my problem. But when it came to the Encore...

For inlines I shoot an NEF Sidekick:

This gun has harvested more game then any other gun in my safe. Now that ain't too bad for only $159.95. Now that $600. piece of Encore junk has given me nothing but heart ache. Don't let me boor you with the details because it sounds just like the other stories you have heard. But likesaid and others also, it is just my onpinion!!!

As far as the Euro guns, I have only owned Pedersolis and InvestArms guns. Both companies have produced guns that have fit my pocket book and the fit and finish has been nothing short of excellent. They are shooters and have served me well.

Now bottom line, I just wanted to add my .02 cents to the fire. I am sure someone has a different view.

Merry Christmas to all and hope that Santa treats everyone as if they have all been good boys and girls!!!

And no more fighting, because Santa is watching.
Old 12-21-2008, 10:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Come on man.... Don't just call the Encore a piece of junk and not give us any reasons why you feel that way....
Old 12-21-2008, 11:01 AM

i wont deny tc makes some real good rifles but i dont think they make a better rifle than the knight long range hunter,disk extreme or kp1 these are some mighty accurate and depenable rifles,and highly proven in the field.

Quick Reply: Curious... What makes a T/C that much better

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.