Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Traditions Shenandoah 50 cal. >

Traditions Shenandoah 50 cal.

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Traditions Shenandoah 50 cal.

Old 12-06-2008, 02:41 PM
Spike

Default Traditions Shenandoah 50 cal.

I purchased one of these a little over a year ago and right outta the box I noticed that when I would use the double set trigger - about 1 out of every 5 times the gun would not fire. The hammer would only fall to the half cock position.

I had a draw on a muzzleloading New Mexico Mule Deer hunt and planned on using this gun. In prep for my trip this problem got worse at the range. To say 3 out of 5 times it would fail.

I called Traditions and explained the problem and they gave me a RA # and had me send it in so they got take a look. After a few weeks I received the gun back and it seemed to be better.

Now, while in New Mexico Ijumped (3) nice Bucks bedded down in a little thick strip between a mountain and the ATV trail I was traveling on. I was able to get off my ATV in time and had the largest of the 3 Bucks - a Monster Muley in my sights! broadside at 30 yards. "CLICK"- No fire, the hammer only fell to half cock. He was still standing there and I got the hammer back again. "CLICK" and He bolted!

so as soon as I got back to Wisconsin I email the guy I dealt with at Traditions and send him a very disgruntled email about my experience with Traditions firearms during my expensive hunt to New Mexico. They give me all these apoligies and have me send it in again.

I get it back and right out of the box - First time it fails! I call the guy and he says it never failed for the gunsmith when he had it??? I said, come on, how can that be??? its failing almost everytime now. I was basically told nothing was found to be wrong and they could do no more. Completely frustrated and angry I just say, nevermind than Ill never buy a Traditions again and hung up. I put the gun in my cabinet and having touched it since.

sorry for the long post guys!! but Ive decided its time I do something with this firearm now. The double set trigger operation fails every time now. anyone have any ideas on the problem? Should I try callin Traditions back under a calmer manner? Im not the mechanical type to start messin with this myself.

a good end to the story, I did manage to get a small 4 point muley with this gun on my last night so the trip wasnt a complete waste but that first deer was BIG!Dam!
Old 12-06-2008, 03:21 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Traditions Shenandoah 50 cal.

This is a problem that Traditions claims to deal with but are not. So lets see if we are covering all of this right...

You cock the hammer to full cock, then hit the set trigger, and then when you hit the front trigger the rifle fails to fire?

or

You hit the set trigger, then cock the rifle, then when you hit the front trigger it fails to fire?

It sounds like something in the lock mechanism that is catching. A burr or something. Have you ever pulled the lock and examined the working parts of the lock? Have you oiled it?

Those are good rifles normally being one of their high end dollar rifles.. I would be on the phone with traditions again.. but it does not seem to do any good.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:03 PM
Spike

thanks for the reply,

basically, if the set trigger is used the gun will not fire. It doesnt matter at what point youengage the set trigger it will fail no matter what - the hammer will only fall to the half cock when it should be firing.

If I dont use the set trigger the gun will fire without any problem but of course thats not the point.

all functions of the gun should be functioning and safe.

I have never takin the gun apart as I said, thats not my thing, but the gun is well cared for and always cleaned after shooting. Ive only oiled the barrel lightly after cleaning.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I am wondering if that set trigger is out of adjustment. But what gets me is Traditions saying they checked it and found no problem with it. So I now suspect they never did anything.

I had a similar experience with CVA and a trigger job they did. The rifle had a 12 pound pull, I sent it is and they fixed that.. cock it and it would fire itself. So I sent it back in again, and this time it came back fixed..
Old 12-06-2008, 04:39 PM
Spike

I dont know. I think Im gonna give em a call on Monday and try em again. It fails every single time now so there shouldnt be any excuses for it to come back unfixed.
Old 12-06-2008, 04:46 PM
Dominant Buck

Well if all else, ask them to replace the lock and trigger assembly. I ownfive Traditions brands Traditional rifles. All of them are great shooters with great triggers. I hope they get you all set up. That's a great rifle. The only thing I hate about it is the barrel is pinned and you should use a flush kit to clean it with.
Old 12-06-2008, 06:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: cayugad

Well if all else, ask them to replace the lock and trigger assembly.
That should do it. Chap
Old 12-07-2008, 12:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I own one of these rifles and the double-set trigger hasalmost alwaysworked perfectly. I'm sorry to hear you are having problems. Problems with a new gun are really aggravating.

A couple of thoughts:

Check the rear lock retaining screw (the one that holds the lock in the stock). If screwed in too much, it will protude in to the path of the cock. You would think that would effect the firing no matter what thetrigger setting-just make sure the screw is flush with the lock plate.

It would be a good idea to pop that lock out and have a look inside. The wood work is pretty crappy inside my rifle, it probably is in yours. Check to make sure nothing is blocking the bearing surface on the trigger. Also have a look at the tumbler does it look like it is operating properly, that is do you see any obvious defects?

Something I was wondering, and I don't mean this as an insult, are you cleaning and lubricating the inside of the lock mechanism? The Shenandoah was my first flintlock and BP firearm, so I made all my mistakes on it. In the beginning I did not know you had to remove the lock and clean that as a part of your post-shooting clean up. Needless to say it wasn't long until the lock had all sorts of malfunctions. When I did finally take the lock out to clean it, it was full of crud. Cleaning and relubing the inside of the lock fixed the problem right away.

If you do decide to pop the lock out, DO NOT completely withdraw the forward lock retaining screw. Just loosen it enough to disengage it from the lock plate. That screw also holds the ramrod retainingspring in place.

One guess how I learned that?

It is not the end of the world if you pull the screw all the way out. You will have just earned the right to knock out the barrel retaining pins and pry the barrel out of the stock in order to put the screw back through the ramrod retaining spring. (The first time you do it, it is a real bear of a job and you have to be very careful not to crack the stock. Putting some oil on the barrel makes it much easier in the future.)

Anyway I would give those things a try. Please let us know how it works out. That is a great rifle you have there.

~Robert
Old 12-07-2008, 03:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

Sounds like to me the problem is in the trigger...I've got a custom flinter that I made myself, that has done that...The spring that sets that trigger needs to be stronger or the screw that holds it down has loostened...

I'd pull the trigger off and clean, lube and tighten the screws...Don't worry if you aren't mechanical, it's already broke...

Old 12-08-2008, 05:03 PM
Spike

I sent it out to Traditions today so we shall see. The Gunsmith I talked too said in a very rude way, "we had this gun in before and didnt find anything wrong" I said well, I never could figure that out because the gun has always failed in this way since it was new outta the box. Maybe it wasnt checked over that good. He said, Im a Gunsmith here and do you really think we would receive a gun with a problem and not check it over? I just said well something happened because when I got it back it was still failing the same way as when I sent it. He just said, ok, well lets get it in again and Ill take a look.

Either way, I may just get rid of this thing and try something else. Im disappointed with the gun and Traditions customer service.

might try a Pedersoli

Quick Reply: Traditions Shenandoah 50 cal.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.