Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Rmington Genesis

Old 11-30-2008, 10:06 AM
Fork Horn

Default Rmington Genesis

I bought a Genesis and put a Nikon Pro Staff on it. It wont shoot consistently for me. I went through a whole box of powerbelt slugs.
What should i try differently?
Old 11-30-2008, 10:19 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Rmington Genesis

ORIGINAL: kelleno

I bought a Genesis and put a Nikon Pro Staff on it. It wont shoot consistently for me. I went through a whole box of powerbelt slugs.
What should i try differently?
Are you required to only shoot conicals where you live? You might want to try some sabots like the 300 grain .44 caliber XTP in a green harvester Crushed Rib Sabot. And load 100 grains of powder.

What kind of powder charge were you putting under those powerbelts? 80 grains of loose Pyrodex RS might be a good start. Also make sure the scope is sighted in and the mounts and rings are tight. I am sure they are, but it is something I always point out to check.

Because of where I live I can only use a 1X scope on my Genesis.

Now I am not going to write here and say that I shoot this good all the time. I think this was just one of my good days. BUT it does show what the rifle is capable of with a good load and swabbing between shots. Also from what Sabotloader explained to me about that bullet selection, I think I could almost hunt elk with that load.

Don't give up on the rifle. Try some different things. Get some 250 grain Shockwaves. Move that target in. For instance I work loads up at 13 yards. At that distance I know it is not the rifle or me. Once I start making a hole, then I move back. Also dead on at 13 yards might surprise you where it hits at 100 yards.. try it some time. Be sure and swab the barrel between shots. Depending on the kind of powder you are shooting. Your rifle might just not like that powerbelt it was shooting. It could be that simple.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:26 AM
Fork Horn

I shoot 777 pellets, I might try loose pyrodex. I started at about 20 yards.
Old 11-30-2008, 10:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Well the distance you started sounded good. Maybe the rifle was pushing the powerbelts too fast. My CVA shoots them with 90 grains of powder real well. While I used to shoot a lot of powerbelts, I kind of got away from them because of the price. Also the t-7 pellets with some good sabots like Shockwaves or 300 gr XTP's might shoot an excellent group for you. Just be sure to swab between shots with Windex and then dry patch it.
Old 12-01-2008, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

My Genesis shoots Hornady FPBs well with 100 gr Pyrodex RS.

Whensomeone says their gun won't shoot well, I always suspect the scope/scope mounts. If you can remove them and shoot a few at 20 yds with iron sights, you can determine if you have a scope issue. If it is not the scope, I would switch bullets until you find something that shoots with your T7 pellets. I suggest 2, 50 gr pellets.