Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

genesis ram rod

Old 12-31-2008, 12:25 PM
Fork Horn

Default genesis ram rod

is it just me or is the rod very short? I won't be able to reach all the way down to the breech plug to swab the barrel between shots. Is that ok?
Old 12-31-2008, 12:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: genesis ram rod

Yes the rod is short, even when extended. When not extended, it is barely long enough for an FPB over 100 gr Pyrodex. So in my mind the rod is good for field-loading only. For cleaning and range work, another rod(s) is required.
Old 12-31-2008, 05:06 PM
Dominant Buck

This ramrod is for loading only unless you put extensions on them. A T handle short starter and a long nose cleaning/loading jag will make them work. Other then that it is a good solid rod.
Old 12-31-2008, 08:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

With it extended it gets very close to the face of the breechplug. I've been using mine with it extended and a SpinJag screwed into the rear of it. That's plenty for a range rod and for cleaning.
Old 01-01-2009, 04:28 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

With it extended it gets very close to the face of the breechplug. I've been using mine with it extended and a SpinJag screwed into the rear of it. That's plenty for a range rod and for cleaning.
thats what I did when I was cleaning it. I think I'll get one of those t handle extensions like cayugad said for the range.
Old 01-01-2009, 07:55 AM
Dominant Buck

The T handle is a short starter. You take the small end off and then it will screw into the end of the ramrod. Also you have a second short starter for sabots. Make sure it has the ends on it. Some of the short starters are solid on the ends like the ones you get from Traditions.