Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Genesis

Old 10-28-2006, 10:17 PM

Default Genesis

Anybody have any thoughts or know anything about the Genesis by Remington?
Old 10-28-2006, 10:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Genesis

ORIGINAL: A7Xfan78

Anybody have any thoughts or know anything about the Genesis by Remington?
PM sent your way!
Old 10-29-2006, 06:07 AM
Typical Buck

Looks to be a decent muzzleloader. It's made for Remington by Traditions. We had one at the store that would not ignite Winchester primers... but would set off CCIs, Federals, ect... Just wouldn't hit the Winchesterd with enough force to set them off... The primers would be lightly dimpled from the light hits.
Old 10-29-2006, 07:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: KBacon

Looks to be a decent muzzleloader. It's made for Remington by Traditions. We had one at the store that would not ignite Winchester primers... but would set off CCIs, Federals, ect... Just wouldn't hit the Winchesterd with enough force to set them off... The primers would be lightly dimpled from the light hits.
Either theTorchCamâ„¢ action produced a dry firing pin with the model inside the store - or the breechplug thread were tapped a fraction-too-deep. That ML should of fired using Winchester 209 primers. That particular Remington model was product-tested exclusively with Remington Kleanbore 209 primers. If using any other 209 brand inside that store model that wouldn't fire Winchester 209s & perhaps others that were built prior and afterwards, it may be necessary to keep the firing pin wellclean & oiled (and/or) slightly turn the breechplug an 1/8th to 1/4 turn counter-clockwise (loosen)after snugging the breechplug during installation.

This may rectify any misfire problems. Like I said, it could be a dry firing pin -- fractional length differences between different brands of 209 primers - also a manufacturing design flaw that will get "tweaked/corrected" since the ML Genesis is so new.

That's why I never buy a new design ML in the first year or two. For instance: The CVA Optima underwent several "tweaks/corrections" in an 18 month time frame afterentering the marketplace. I'm sure this slight problem will get corrected too. But it's not uncommon for that firing pin to be either dry or binding when brand new. Not uncommon to have a breechplug thread design that's sensitive to other primer brands.

It'll all come-out in the wash... so-to-speak! Not a knock against the new Genesis. May turn out to be basically design-defect free... unlike the Optima and many others - including the 1-20" twist failures T/C had with the Omega/Encores early-on.
Old 10-29-2006, 08:17 AM
Typical Buck

Triple Se7en... our Gunsmith said that the Winchester primers are "harder" than the other brands of primers.. and this may have accounted for the Genesis not setting them off. I'm not sure. Could also be the depth of the breech plug threads that you mentioned.. that also makes alot of sense.
Old 10-29-2006, 09:09 AM

I noticed with my new Genesis that I could back out the breech plug about 1/4 turn before the hinged breech block started dragging. So I'm loosening the plug about 1/5 of a turn. If yourbarrel was tapped a little deeper, it could certainly create a firing pin protrusion problem with the plug screwed in tight.Have yet to havea mis-fire yet with Remington Kleenbore primers, though.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:30 PM

It's a pile of junk if you ask me and is way over priced. It says right on the barrel "imported by Traditions firearms", so that should answer your question. I found it at Sportsmans Guide for like $150. It was a Traditionsbut the same exact gun.All you're paying for is the name on it and would be much better off with a TC or Knight. Just stating my opinion.
Old 11-02-2006, 09:11 PM

Its a pile of junk?? Why? because its made my traditions? Over priced? Ever take a look at TC'sline and find a $600 omega and then find it on another website for $100 less or more? Shows you that tc is just ripping your ass open and making a bigger profit. Quality service at an over charged price!
Now where i live, sabots and pellets are illegal, Now if i didnt know better and bought a$400-600 sabot shooting Omega and when i got it and found that it couldnt shoot a conical worth a crap " ina lot ofcases they dont shoot them" I'd be sending that over priced plastic wad shooting rifle back to TC and telling them where to shove it. When i had a cva staghorn, that sucker could shoot anything from a patched round ball to a sabot and shoot great patterns. Seems like TC is VERY picky about what you shove down the bore.
Now my Wichester x-150 got a little fussy on me with the great plains bullets this year untill i figured out the dumb Bi pod was making the rifle rock back and forth. Ive shot everything from those cheap TC sabots to the 385gn GP bullets. Seems like these cheaper muzzleloaders are a lot less fussy than those high grade muzzleloaders. And that BS about American made stuff being better is such BS. Anyone that believes that it a fool. Take a look at the AK47 vs the first American made!! M16.
Old 11-03-2006, 05:25 AM

My old Staghorn has 1:32" rifling. It is very accurate and is not fussy about most loads. The newer CVA has1;28". Think that the slower twist is better all around.
Old 11-03-2006, 07:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I own a Genesis and so far I love it. I haven't found any of the problems people complain about to be true (barrel, scope mounting, primers not going off). This Nov and Dec I'll be huntin' pretty hard w/it so it'll be field tested for sure. If there's any major problems I find w/it i'll let you know.

Quick Reply: Genesis

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.