Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Pyrodex Amount

Old 11-26-2008, 08:24 AM

Default Pyrodex Amount

Ok, I'm having a very difficult time finding pyrodex pellets for my 45cal knight rifle. I have been using the 50 gr. pellets, but I can't find them anywhere in my neck of the woods. I was able to find 30 gr. pellets. I normally shoot 100 gr. So, here is my question. Will 90 gr. throw off the ballistics on a 200 gr. bullet that bad, or should I go up to 120 gr with the pellets? And if I go up to 120 pellets,and am able to find50 gr. pellets, will the ballistics be way off there when I go back to 100 gr. pellets again?I hope that make sense. I guess the bottom line is, will 10 to 20 grains throw you off that much? Thanks.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Pyrodex Amount

Sometimes a few grains will seem to have little effect, but in my experience I have noted when you start changing it by five or even ten grains there can be a marked difference in the accuracy of the rifle.

There is the option of going to loose powder. Get Pyrodex RS and a volume measure. Try a 100 grain charge of the loose powder and you should get very close to the accuracy you did with the two pellets. Also it is less expensive, and if you want to tweek the load a little you can do that as well.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:49 AM

That's funny. I was speaking with a good friend on the phone who uses loose powder, and as I was speaking with him and reading your post, the two of you said almost the exact same thing.

I've never used loose powder and am a bit intimidated by it. I'm going to get a lesson in it today at the range though. Thanks for your reply.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I think you will find that once you start using loose (and saving lots of money) you will really like it. If you have some old 35mm plastic film containers, old medicine prescription bottles, or you can purchase or make speed loaders, carry five of them in your hunting jacket, and its just as good as pellets.
Old 11-26-2008, 09:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

Aside from a few shots at targets with the remants of a can of ff black powder, I have never used anything but Pyrodex RS. 100 grains always seemed to be the preferred charge with a 50 and a 54 cal Renegade.

There is no disavantage to using loose powder that I can think of, either for hunting or target. There are several advantages.
Old 11-26-2008, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

The only disadvantage I have seen with loose powder, and it can be dealt with in several ways, is windy conditions with a speed loader. Funnel type powder measures work fine but with speed loaders you need to put your body between the wind and the muzzle to keep from losing some of the powder in windy conditions. I also cup my left hand around the muzzle to act as a wind break if needed so I don't lose any powder. Other than that the advantages of loose powder far outweigh the price of the pellets.