Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 surprising range report >

surprising range report

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

surprising range report

Old 11-25-2008, 02:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default surprising range report

In a previous post concerning my first ML deer, I statedthe loadI used was a Shockwave 200 gr spire point with 100 gr Pyrodex RS. Although this particular load did an awsome job at just over 100 yards, I was concerned that the round actually passed through considering all the bone damage. So . . . went to BPS and picked up some P-RS and a pack of TC .45/40 180gr XTP Mag HPs.

Using a 6" yellow plastic lid, with a black center dot, 25 yards out, I made the first shot using the same 100 gr of P-RS. Hit about 1" high and 2" right - guessI pulled that one a little[:-] Swabbed the barrel and put another load down range . . . 1" high on center. I sure wasn't expecting this right offOkay . . .

Put an orange shoot-n-see up at 75 yards. Same load - 1st shot on center 1/2" high - cool 2nd shot 1/2" high 1/2" left - I'm really liking this 3rd shot 1/2" high just right of center - guess I foundthe sweet load for the CVA This was using TruGlo fiber optic open sights.

My "range" is on a slight down slope, so by applying some redneck physics figure this will put me real close to bullseye on flat ground. This grouping is a lot better than what I was using.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: surprising range report

That sounds like you have a good shooter there. Hope the load works well for you..
Old 11-25-2008, 05:42 PM
Fork Horn

to cayugad:

I sent my wife a copy of your tagline . . . she won't talk to me anymore

Old 11-25-2008, 06:15 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: dustyr

to cayugad:

I sent my wife a copy of your tagline . . . she won't talk to me anymore
Now that's funny. Well enjoy the peace and quiet.
Old 11-25-2008, 06:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well enjoy the peace and quiet.
Dusty, I suggest you NOT send your wife Cayugad's comment. There will be no peace and quiet.
Old 11-26-2008, 02:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: dustyr

In a previous post concerning my first ML deer, I stated the load I used was a Shockwave 200 gr spire point with 100 gr Pyrodex RS. Although this particular load did an awsome job at just over 100 yards, I was concerned that the round actually passed through considering all the bone damage.
What was to be concerned about?
Old 11-26-2008, 06:12 AM
Fork Horn

Since I hunt mainly on an adjoining public game land, I am really concerned about pass throughs - especially if I take a shot on one of the few clear areas. Not knowing if anyone else is out there . . .
Old 11-26-2008, 06:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not telling you what to be concerned about, but we should all verify that we have a clear and safe shot opportunity before pulling the trigger. That said, I want full penetration with a muzzleloader. IMO, selecting a bullet that is not likely to provide full penetration is the wrong way to go.

When you are shooting deer with projectiles that are already 45 cal. and bigger, there is no real need for expansion. Penetration is where it's at. Punch a hole through the vitals/shoulders and he's not going far.

A bullet that will not pass through can't be used for some angled shots where a good deal of penetration is needed before the vitals are hit.
Old 11-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

Like UncleNorby I feel it's always important to know what is downrange of you. Especially since there is no way I can think of that you can pick a bullet that would both guarantee a non-pass-thru and still reliably take deer if you happen to hit a shoulder blade or something.

If this is your concern, I'd actually suggest a different tact. Get away from the jacket bullets, go all-lead. A great choice would be one of the Precision Rifle Keith Nose bullets. Then reduce your powder charge to about 80-85 grains. The all-lead design deforms easier even at reduced charges, reducing your chance of ricochet or leaving a "flyable" bullet upon pass-thru. The reduction in velocity will also keep bullet travel distance down. And you won't be sacrificing your killing ability either.

I have shot these bullets (and several other designs) at 80-85 grains and killed quite a few deer that way. FYI I have yet to find a ML bullet that reliably fails to exit a deer -- they are soft creatures. And I have tried pretty much all that were around prior to 2-3 years ago.

Shoot a big, soft, slow bullet and punch them in the shoulders. That's about the best you can do if you want to limit chances of bullet travel IMHO.

FYI in other guns I've seen bullet designs that do not exit and this is why the route you are taking causes me some pause. One is centerfire bullets driven over their design limits -- fragmentation and crippled deer. The other is Barnes Expander shotgun slugs. Me and a couple guys used them for 2 years, about half the deer they did not exit. But we had two cases where they opened too soon and did not reach the vitals, leading to wounded deer we had to chase down. NOT good.
Old 11-26-2008, 12:21 PM
Fork Horn

All valid points . . . and I really appreciate the input. Just call it a phobia I have that goes back to my law enforcement days in the Coast Guard. Pass through shots were not much of a concern with the ol' 45 - most often the round would be stopped by a bulkhead. But having seen a demonstration with the 9mm and a pig carcus - the round went through the pig and punched through a 3/8'' steel bulkhead - no way of knowing whom or what was on the other side. Down range spotting is part of what I do whenever I set up. But this being public game land . . . rather be safe than sorry.