Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Goex Black Powder

Old 11-23-2008, 08:58 AM

Default Goex Black Powder

My supply of Goex BP FFG was getting low so I decided to go out and buy some more. Its been 2 years since I last bought it, and I had purchased 5 pounds. WOW... it used to be so easy to get, but now no one carries it in my area. Everyone I talked to gave me excuses why they don't carry it anymore ("city fire code doesnt allow it", "state requires us to have a bunker", etc etc) I called at least 15 shops with no luck.

I am going to have to buy from the internet this time around I guess and in the future. Hopefully you Real BP guys don't have the same problem.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Goex Black Powder

I have the same problem here. The State demanded that anyone selling black powder has to have a powder bunker where all of it must be kept. Also most insurance companies will not cover stores that sell it.

I order mine through Graf's & Sons or Powder Inc. Last time I tried Powder Inc. they did not have any. Also the other real crime is, when you order black powder and a sub powder, they will not ship the stuff in the same box. They need two hazmat fees that way, yet the powder normally is delivered the same day with one box on top of the other.
Old 11-23-2008, 09:24 AM

I didnt know they wouldnt ship it together. wow... just another rip off to charge the Hazmat twice on 1 order.

Sad... whats the future hold for us guys that like to use the real BP.

Old 11-23-2008, 10:35 AM

What we would do is get some guys and go in
together and get like 25 to 50 lbs at a time and
then divide it up with each other...It's A LOT
cheaper this way...
Old 11-23-2008, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Just for an FYI, If you are in SE Michigan / NW Ohio you can buy Goex 2, 3 and 4F at Johnson's in Adrian.
Old 11-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

Here in Arizona, I hear the same rap: need a powder bunker, fire codes, etc.

Check to see if you have NMLRA: National Muzzle Loading Rifle Association events near you. Ifyou do, you can usually pick-up powder there. The NMLRA has a annual event near me in December. Ibuyenough Goex to last the year and avoid the hazmat fees that way.

~Robert