Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Project Update (Pictures added) >

Project Update (Pictures added)

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Project Update (Pictures added)

Old 11-22-2008, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Project Update (Pictures added)

In an earlier posting I had asked about 2 rifles that a friend had asked me to check for him, see it here.

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=3178672

I was able to spend a little time at the range yesterday playing with the rifles to see what was going on.

First, the TC New Englander 54. I had spent some time cleaning it up for himas it was quite dirty and there was corrosion in the bore. I ended up polishing the bore with some JB's for about 50 to 75 strokes which cleaned most of the corrosion out but still left the slight pitting in the barrel, everything else looked to be in pretty good shape. I started off with 60gr of Goex 3F just to make sure the gun would fire, it did just as it should. What I found was, as was mentioned in the previous post, that the nipple had been peened and mushroomed enough to where the cap would not seat properly and it took 2 hammer falls to get it to fire. I don't understand why he was having 3 to 5 second hang fires with the gun, I didn't experience even one hang fire, just caps not seating correctly. I'm going to call this problem solved.

I did try a few RB's with 90gr of powder and had a 1" group at 25 yards and about a 2.5" group at 50 yards. I don't particularly like the sights on the gun, I think I could have done better with something else, I was having a lot of problems with my focus through my bifocal glasses at 50 yards. Maybe it wasn't the sights after all.

Next was the 1853 Enfield 58. I mainly wanted to verify it was shooting 8" low as he had indicated. He had supplied his normal projectile which isa 555gr Minnie. I loaded up the standard 60gr load for the rifle, just 3F instead of 2F. and took aim and shot at 25 yards. I had a nice big hole 8" from the point of aim, only it was above the dot not below it. This of course is a whole different problem than the original. I have already ordered the replacement slide that was missing from the rear sight, now I have to figure out where to get a taller front sight since the rear sight is already at it's lowest setting. The front sight is soldered to the barrel so I may have him take it to a gunsmith for that work, I'm not set up to do it.

Other than that it did shoot pretty well with about a 3" group at 50 yards with me holding well below the dot. This gun was also quite dirty and needs a new nipple. The one on the gun has rusted in place, I could not get it to budge. I need to find a new one before I get agressive and use a vicelock to get it out. Once these problems are cleared up it should be a good shooting gun, with proper maintenance.

I did run a shot each over my chrony and the TC turned in just over 1600fps with 90gr and a .530 ball. The Enfield with that big slug still managed right at 1050fps with only 60gr. Not too bad.

I would have had pictures but the camer batteries were dead, all 3 of them. I guess I need to get on to the kids for just swapping batteries and not recharging the others.
Old 11-22-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Project Update

Good report
Sounds like you spent some time with the guns
Old 11-24-2008, 07:44 AM
Nontypical Buck

If he will stick with the 60 gr load for the Enfield I guess you will need a higher front sight. But, if there are plans to increase the charge you may not need a higher front sight. With more velocity, the bullet willexit sooner, or earlier in the recoil, and therefore may shoot lower. Just a thought.

Anyway, strange that the sights on the gun do not allow sight-in with the "standard" load.
Old 11-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm not sure about increasing the charge with that big slug. Anyone have any idea what the max powder charge is for that rifle? I may try it with some round ball also, I'm sure they would be light enough to allow a stiffer charge.

I still haven't been able to get the nipple out of the Enfield, I soaked it over night last night with liquid wrench so I will try again when I get home from work late tonight. The flats on the nipple are about rounded off from whoever tried to remove it last so I will probably destroy it getting it out. I wish I had ordered a new one when I ordered the part for the rear sight, oh well. More work on it will have to wait till after this next weeks elk hunt with my son.

Thanks for the info and suggestions.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I promised some pictures so here they are. I took them on my cleaning bench so please pardon the mess.

First is the Enfield.

That Enfield sure is a long sucker and makes for some big holes.
Here is how it grouped.

Next is the New Englander.

And Here is it's 50 yard Grouping, the 4 below the 3" orange circle was using a 6 o'clock hold, the ones marked 1 and 2 was aiming in the upper third of the dot.

I still haven't got the nipple out of the Enfield so that is next on the list of repairs. I did get the replacement slide for the rear sight todaybut Dixie didn't send the screw and spring that it lists as coming with it so I have to call them tomorrow and get those on the way. I also need to find a taller front sight so I can get the POI down to where it is suppose to be.

Sorry for the long post, I hope you enjoyed it.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Good report murph. If I were running Thompson Center I would put the New Englander back in production with the option ofan adjustable peep sight or a scope base.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

It seems like a nice little rifle but I don't care for the sights or sight picture. I think it would do great with a rear peep sight.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:04 PM
Boone & Crockett

TC factory sights don't work well for me either. I put a 2X pistol scope on mine in a semi-scout position. It works very well.