Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got a BIG 10 Point!(UPDATE : Score Added!!) >

Got a BIG 10 Point!(UPDATE : Score Added!!)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got a BIG 10 Point!(UPDATE : Score Added!!)

Old 11-10-2003, 06:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Got a BIG 10 Point!(UPDATE : Score Added!!)

139-4/8" Gross
136-2/8" Net
3-1/4" Deduction

Well, big for around here. He' s only got a 16" spread, but he' s got very heavy beams and tines. G2' s are about 7" , G3' s are 9" , G4' s are 6" , brow tines are 2.5" & 3.5" , beams are 20" . He carries the mass out all the way to the tips and has huge bases. I don' t know the actual weight of the deer, but comparing it to know weights of other deer taken by friends this year we estimate him at around 170 dressed.

The story:

11-8-03
6:45 am I hear the telltale sound of a deer approaching from behind....and a truck rolls up the road only 100 yards away. I see the deer stop in some very thick saplings just 20 yards away....all I could see was his neck and head and that rack! The truck stops! I think somebody had to pee, they get out of the truck, rustle around a little and they get back in the truck and leave. The buck stands motionless for about 10 minutes staring in the direction of the noise....he didn' t even blink, twitch an ear or anything! Finally he takes a few steps into my shooting lane....he turns and quarters away.....I release! I see the arrow hit him way too far back, in the hind quarter.....I don' t know what happened, I think I hit my sleeve on my heavy parka, but not sure didn' t check the bow yet. The deer runs a circle around me and stops in a clearing at just ten yards, I draw and as I begin to touch off another shot he bolts and I miss. He runs down over the hill right towards my buddy Ryan and stops just 20 yards from him. Ryan sees my arrow sticking out of his rump and decides he has to try and get another arrow in him. His shot deflects off of a twig and the buck runs down over the hill to the creek. We wait an hour and then I climb down to check for blood, all the while thinking the worst and praying for the best. I find blood right where he' s standing and a solid trail all the way to Ryan' s stand and beyond. A blind man could have followed this blod trail it was so thick! I start down over the hill on the trail, but Ryan forgets his orange, so he goes back to his stand and grabs it and then starts down over the hill right there near his stand. I' m following the trail when Ryan starts yelling " You got him, you killed him, he' s down by the creek" .....then the buck lifts his head! He was laying on his back with his antlers dug into the ground....then roled over to a bedded position and picked his head up. We decide to back out of the area and wait longer, but before we could he gets a little bit of clarity and energy and gets up after three tries and trots up the hill and crashes. We back out and call a buddy 45 minutes away....he get there in 30 minutes! At 10am the three of us decide to go up the valley.....I take the low side, Ryan goes up the middle of the hill and Steve goes up towards the top. After a short, quit walk Steve whistles and I come up the hill....HE' S STILL ALIVE! I had to put another arrow into him, but he was not going anywhere. I felt bad that I made him suffer for 3 hours, but I' m very happy that we didn' t lose him or push him. This is the biggest buck that I' ve ever seen in the woods! After a pisture taking session and hoots and hugs and high fives it was time to get messy. I' ll never forget that morning, that buck, or sharing those memories with my two best friends!

I' ve got about 20 pictures, but don' t have a way to post them. If anyone wants to help me out here I' d really appreciate it.....email: [email protected]. Thanks.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Got a BIG 10 Point!

Jason let me say congrats on what sounds like a very nice buck, also good job on tracking him down and finishing the job, I hope someone can post the pics for you.

I hope you learned an important lesson from this, always practice with the clothes on you will be hunting with, this would have stopped you from having the bad hit.
Old 11-10-2003, 06:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, let me add that this all took place on public land in PA! And everyone that saw the buck said it was by far the biggest buck they' d ever seen come out of the area....so, that just made it a little sweeter!
Old 11-10-2003, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks Taz, I' m not totally sure it was the clothes, but you make a very good point. I haven' t shot my bow since and I don' t know if it' s the bow or the clothes or just plain excitement! It' s definetly a lesson learned and one that won' t be soon forgotten.
Old 11-10-2003, 07:37 AM

send them to ... [email protected] and I' ll post them for you
Old 11-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats. Way to go on finding him. It' s always great to hear about the big one that didn' t get away.

I made this same exact shot years ago on a nice 8pt. Hit him in the same spot you hit your buck. The reason? A huge wad of gloves in my right pocket - the string caught on them kicking it to the right. He unfortunately ran on to private property and the owner was rather uncooperative.

Anyway, great job!
Old 11-10-2003, 07:59 AM
Typical Buck

Congrats bro!! I can' t waite to see the pictures!
Old 11-10-2003, 08:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old 11-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

http://community.webshots.com/album/99329511aeQZQR

Here' s the link to my album....I can' t figure out why they are so small and only 2 show up.
Old 11-10-2003, 08:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Jason he looks like a nice deer, but the pics are pretty small.

Quick Reply: Got a BIG 10 Point!(UPDATE : Score Added!!)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.