Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Whitetail Deer Hunting
 The Best Ever Last Day. **Pictures Added** >

The Best Ever Last Day. **Pictures Added**

Community
Whitetail Deer Hunting Gain a better understanding of the World's most popular big game animal and the techniques that will help you become a better deer hunter.

The Best Ever Last Day. **Pictures Added**

Old 11-17-2003, 04:23 PM

Default The Best Ever Last Day. **Pictures Added**

The stars must have been alligned on Saturday as myself and the rest of my hunting partners had an unbelievable end to our hunt. Going into the last day we already had 2 spike horn bucks and a doe, but still had 3 buck or doe tags left.

Just before 0800 I heard a single shot come from one of the tree stand' s. One of our gang had shot a huge 8pt (we guessed at 240-250lbs) in full rut. His neck was swollen right up and huge. We weighed him later that night and found he was actually just over 220lbs. Obviously not what we first expected but still a big deer.

At around 1130 we heard 3 shots from the maple bush where another member was sitting on a lawn chair on a small ridge. The shots resulted in another dead spike horn buck.

After seeing these 2 deer taken and me being the guy that hadn' t shot a deer yet I headed to the treestand at about 1200. Stood in the stand until about 1440 then nature called and I was forced back to camp to " take care of business" . I was heading back to the stand (after being ribbed for not shooting anything yet) when I saw a flash at the end of the field above the prickely ash. Immediatl got down on one knee and brought the gun up to have a look through the scope. Sure enough it was a nice buck. I didn' t bother counting points as it would have no bearing on wheather I shoot or not, it was a deer and that' s all that mattered. I had a clean shot at his neck and head over the prickely ash but I was over 200 yards away even though I have my 7MM sighted in for 200 yards I didn' t shoot. I was sure I could make the shot and there is no way a deer is going to walk away when shot in the head or neck by a 7MM but I waited as I suspected he would come out to the edge of the field where I could take a heart/lung shot. Sure enough he popped out 10 yards farther away but broadside and stopped. I was about to take the longest shot of my life at a live deer (practice shots up to 250 yards on targets) Pulled up got my breathing in control then squeezed the trigger. It was a thing of beauty. The deer dropped in his tracks and when I got up to him he was stone dead. He was a nice 8pt with a perfectly symetrical rack with the longest tine being about 6" . He weighed in at 185lbs.

This was the by far our best last day ever. And I will never forget it. My heart rate still goes up just thinking about it. Sorry for the long drawn out story but it was a very exciting day. Even sweeter then the bigger 10pt I shot last year.

I will have the pictures (proof) posted Friday.

Thanks for listening,
Drew.

Me with this years deer (8pt)

Old 11-17-2003, 08:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: The Best Ever Last Day.

Congats!!!!! Sounds like a good time had by all![:-]
Old 11-17-2003, 09:03 PM

Congrats!! Hopefully I' ll have a similar post on here by next week.
Old 11-18-2003, 07:00 AM

congradulations
Old 11-18-2003, 08:13 AM

Nice story, wasn' t too long. I like to read them. Way to go waiting for the lung shot. I' m glad he didn' t split though. You would be kicking yourself probably if he had left after passing up on the neck shot
Old 11-18-2003, 10:52 AM
Nontypical Buck

Nice story and congrats!!!!!
Old 11-18-2003, 10:56 AM
Giant Nontypical

Great story! Thanks for posting it. Congratulations...
Old 11-18-2003, 11:14 AM

Awesome story, congrats on not being skunked!
Old 11-18-2003, 11:24 AM

congrtultions sounds likea great end for the season.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:39 AM

Great job, Bigscrape! I had a similar last day. The hunt had been the slowest in years (for only me, apparrently, as the reset of my party was having plenty of action) I didn' t see a spot of brown for the first 2.5 days and I hadn' t seen a single buck all season. I decided on the last day to take a doe, so I hunted over a field where I knew I see does, but usually not bucks. I was watching a couple does when a third one busted out of the woods being chased by a buck. The first time he stopped, I got him. It was a small seven point, but a trophy to me.

Good luck to the rest of you!

Nathan

Quick Reply: The Best Ever Last Day. **Pictures Added**

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.