Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 Your favorite .50 Cal slugs? >

Your favorite .50 Cal slugs?

Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Your favorite .50 Cal slugs?

Old 11-29-2008, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Your favorite .50 Cal slugs?

I use Barnes Expander MZ's in 250 and 300gr with Crushed Rib sabots. I fully intend to try some of the Gold Dots after the season and as soon as I can get someplace that carries them. I put this on another post of mine but here's a pic of the 300gr Expander I took my spike with last Saturday afternoon.

Old 11-29-2008, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is picture perfect, just like the Barnes ads. Chap
Old 11-29-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: SWThomas

Is that the only Speer Gold Dot there is? How accurate are those hollow points?
No, there are several sizes and weights, but I like 300g because they shoot thru a deer. The hollow points have little bearing on accuracy, really it is twist of the rifle and shooting at the right speed to stabalize the bullet. They shoot well out of most MLers with a good tight sabot, that puts some twist/spin to the bullet. I shoot them with 80g of Goex out of my FL and have shot them with 100g of loose out of my Omega with a Crushed rib sabot (my favorite sabot). Chap

Old 11-30-2008, 06:03 AM
Nontypical Buck

I switched this year I use to shoot Dead Center bullets they are a very good bullet but a little pricey.
I shoot the 300 gr. gold dots in my Knight they shoot very accurate at 50 yards very tight groups usually touching at 100 yards about 2 inch groups, use 90gr. 777 Harvester crush rib sabot
[/quote]

Is that the only Speer Gold Dot there is? How accurate are those hollow points?
[/quote]
Old 11-30-2008, 06:31 AM

I shoot .45 caliber 240 grain XTP's over 90 grains of BH209 with a crush rib sabot out of my Omega.

Can regularly turn 5 shot groups into one large ragged hole at 50 yards. Some guys don't like the XTP's because of reported jacket separation. I don't concern myself with that too much though since I'm not pushing them super fast. XTP's sometimes get bad mouthed but I'll venture a guessthatthere have been more deer taken with them than any other pistol bullet. It's only a deer. The die pretty easy with a well placed shot. If I was gunning for something larger than a deer, then I'd rethink my bullet and powder combination.
Old 11-30-2008, 08:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll buy some Gold Dots and Sabots today and also buy some conicals. I'll be sighting in my ML in a couple weeks and I'll see which bullet it likes best.
Old 11-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Jimimac

I shoot .45 caliber 240 grain XTP's over 90 grains of BH209 with a crush rib sabot out of my Omega.

Can regularly turn 5 shot groups into one large ragged hole at 50 yards. Some guys don't like the XTP's because of reported jacket separation. I don't concern myself with that too much though since I'm not pushing them super fast. XTP's sometimes get bad mouthed but I'll venture a guessthatthere have been more deer taken with them than any other pistol bullet. It's only a deer. The die pretty easy with a well placed shot. If I was gunning for something larger than a deer, then I'd rethink my bullet and powder combination.
Lotta folks feel like you do, like the designer of the Savage 10 ML Smokless MLers, Henry Ball. Good read here also on some guys shooting them in the Savage, especially art338wm analysis of the bullet:

http://dougva.proboards34.com/index.cgi?board=Savage&action=display&thre ad=10742

Chap
Old 12-01-2008, 07:23 AM
Typical Buck

SW

This bullet was recovered from a doe shot facing me with her head down at 80 or so yards. I was ina tree stand and when she dropped her head down to feed I put aimed for the top of her back right where the neck begins and touched it off. The bullet traveled through the neck/spine and entirely through the chest and abdominal cavities. I felt the bullet under the hide on the deer's left flank and cut it out externally

And in reply to your other question, Gold Dots are pistol bullets made by Speer. This is the 300gr, .452 bullet made for the 454 Casull pistol.
Old 12-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the info! I don't see a pic though...