Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 shockwave or powerbelt >

shockwave or powerbelt

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

shockwave or powerbelt

Old 11-30-2008, 01:30 PM

Default shockwave or powerbelt

I am shooting a thompson center omega with 100 grains of 777 pellets and I was wondering what would be a better bullet. I have a few of the powerbelt 245gr aerotips but Ive heard nothing good about them and Ive never killed a whitetail with them so I dont know how they perform. thanks
Old 11-30-2008, 01:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: shockwave or powerbelt

ORIGINAL: rockrv

I am shooting a thompson center omega with 100 grains of 777 pellets and I was wondering what would be a better bullet. I have a few of the powerbelt 245gr aerotips but Ive heard nothing good about them and Ive never killed a whitetail with them so I dont know how they perform. thanks
The PB were designed to shoot at low speed to expand and not fragment. In your Omega, shoo tthe 250g SW with 100g of 777 pellets. The SW is a better bullet at that charge, it is a very accurate bullet also. Most folks shoot powerbelts because they hate hard loading, if you swab between shots that is no problem.
Chap
Old 11-30-2008, 02:05 PM
Spike

You can read my thread on here about Powerebelts and my TC Omega...but needless to say the 2 don't play nicely. I'm gonna be giving the 260 GR. Nosler Partition HG's a go this week. Been told they shoot well in the Omega.
Old 11-30-2008, 02:30 PM

Never used them but powerbelts seem cheaply made to me
Old 11-30-2008, 03:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

rockrv
260 GR. Nosler Partition,Very good on the terminal end if your gun likes them
250 SW very accurate, if you get the right combo of sabot and load they will usually be the moat accurate at long range; they require a heavy load to open well; BH 209 110 + is recommended.
250 Gold Dot is bonded will do well with any load over 60 gr including heavy loads[ I use 110 BH 209 for 2,050 fps] find the right load and sabot and these are the best bullet for under 150 yds at the best price [ about 1/2 hat the others including those PB's cost.
Old 11-30-2008, 03:35 PM

For me... between the 2.... SHOCKWAVES!
Old 11-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: treestandsnyper

You can read my thread on here about Powerebelts and my TC Omega...but needless to say the 2 don't play nicely. I'm gonna be giving the 260 GR. Nosler Partition HG's a go this week. Been told they shoot well in the Omega.
The 260g Norler is a great bullet, but the 300g has more energy and will shoot thru deer all the time. I have found by school of hard knocks that 250g bullets only do 1 hole and are frequently in the hide on the off side, therefore limited blood trail from a tree stand shot, so the 260g are great, but the 300g are "better at shoot thru".
Chap
Old 11-30-2008, 04:15 PM
FG

isnt the shockwave/sst the bullet over on MM thats losing all of the deer?
Old 11-30-2008, 05:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: rockrv

With 100 grains I think the SW would be best but don't count the PB's out just yet
Shoot a few with diff charges as well with the SW and shoot what you like

I killed two deer last year with the PB 245 AT's The first one fragmented because I pushed it to hard (100 grns or 2 pelletts) the second was with the same charge but at a longer distance and it preformed great
Old 12-01-2008, 07:15 AM
Typical Buck

Default Gold Dot

ORIGINAL: gleason.chapman

ORIGINAL: treestandsnyper

The 260g Norler is a great bullet, but the 300g has more energy and will shoot thru deer all the time. I have found by school of hard knocks that 250g bullets only do 1 hole and are frequently in the hide on the off side, therefore limited blood trail from a tree stand shot, so the 260g are great, but the 300g are "better at shoot thru".
Chap

Another vote for the Gold Dot- my favorite is the 300gr in front of 115gr loose 777.

Quick Reply: shockwave or powerbelt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.