HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - FACT OR FICTION?????
View Single Post
Old 11-14-2008, 09:17 AM
cayugad
Dominant Buck

Default RE: FACT OR FICTION?????

Are we talking days or minutes to clean a rifle. While it is true that Triple Se7en can be removed from the barrel with simple tap water (which most people do not take advantage of). Add a squirt of dish soap to that water and it will remove Pyrodex just as easy. Use Windex and it will remove both of them. Both powders IN PELLET FORM have approximately the same power. Pyrodex leave more fowling between shots, but it is a softer easier to remove fowling. Did he mention some rifles develop terrible crud rings when shooting Triple Se7en powder that must be removed between every shot, while with Pyrodex the crud ring is much softer and if worse be told, you can shoot more then once. Also when you talk consistency and cost, many times Pyrodex is the better option. Some rifles like Triple Se7en powder, and it is a great powder. Still, most all rifles like Pyrodex.

The real cleaning question is not in the brand of powder but the method of cleaning. It does not matter what kind of powder I shoot, and believe me.. I shoot themall. If one powder takes me five minutes more to clean out of the rifle then the other, then it take me five minutes more. That is one more song on the radio and another half cup of coffee. I never consider cleaning time as something to avoid. It is just something that has to be done.

And changing to loose powder to me is a win win situation. Lower cost per shot, tinkering with the loads, and the satisfaction that I can afford to shoot more. Shooting more is a good thing. It makes you want to spend more time outside on the range.. That's fresh air and exercise, good for your health. It makes you want to purchase more muzzleloaders.. that stimulates the economy, fills the gun racks and normally upsets the better half. I mean come on, what more could you want..