Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Black Powder
 1X traditional scope vs Red dot >

1X traditional scope vs Red dot

Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

1X traditional scope vs Red dot

Old 11-04-2008, 05:33 PM
Fork Horn

Default 1X traditional scope vs Red dot

I am considering switching from a 1X traditional scope to a red dot on my muzzleloader. Will the red dot scopes handle the recoil of the muzzleloader and will there be any issues of concern?We are limited to no magnification in my state. I just don't like how the crosshairs cover everything up at 100 yards and they are hard to see in low light. I think the reddot with the adjustable brightness may prove better in low light.Anyone that's tried a red dot please offer some input. Thanks in advance!
Old 11-04-2008, 05:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: 1X traditional scope vs Red dot

Been there - done that. I think you would be making a mistake. If you thinka1Xscope is limiting in low light, just wait until you see what ared dot does.In low light you will not likely be able to see a deer through it past 40 yards or so. I sold, traded, or gave away all but one of the red dots I had. Kept one for experimenting with pistols.
Old 11-04-2008, 05:56 PM
Boone & Crockett

Been there - done that. I think you would be making a mistake. If you thinka1Xscope is limiting in low light, just wait until you see what ared dot does.In low light you will not likely be able to see a deer through it past 40 yards or so. I sold, traded, or gave away all but one of the red dots I had.

What Semisane said.
Old 11-04-2008, 06:08 PM
Dominant Buck

I took my last RED DOT off a muzzleloadingrifle a while ago. In Wisconsin we are not allowed magnification either. So I put 1X scopes on my rifles now. That red dot, sure had an illuminated dot, but like Semisane said, it does you no good when you can't see anything through the RED DOT. Also on my two RED DOTS, they grow a tail and look like a half moon. You just learn to ignore the tail.

Also if you think the red dot covers a bulls eye at 100 yards, wait until you look through a red dot at that distance.
Old 11-05-2008, 05:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Those guys with the experience have given you valid point to go with a traditional 1X scope. I may be a bit paranoid about them too. It would be just my luck that my battery would go dead at the time of need or the electronics would fail.I'd go with the 1X traditional scope.
Another thing - I had a reddot on my mini-14 and took it off because at 100 yds it covered too much area for accurate shooting.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:58 AM
Dominant Buck

Well the RED DOT I have on my .44 magnumRuger Redhawk is fine. My shots are all close with that. But when I had it on a muzzleloader, at 75 yards it covered the center of a target. Now the RED DOT claims a 3MOA but what if your second shot, the dot is a little off... your 3MOA gets bigger. Out to 50 yards the RED DOT is plenty accurate. Even 75 yards it was acceptable. BUT the night I had a doe come in, and figured.. dead meat. It was right at closing. I pulled up and the dot stuck out like a sore thumb, but there was no deer in the RED DOT, just a black tube with a red dot. It did not do me much good.

Another option is a True Glo Ghost Ring peep. They have fiber optic points on each side of the rear peep and using the front fiber optics makes an easy to see in low light sight, plus the accuracy of the peep. I do not shoot one, but have read reports of those that do and they tend to like them.
Old 11-05-2008, 10:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I pulled up and the dot stuck out like a sore thumb, but there was no deer in the RED DOT, just a black tube with a red dot.

Same thing happened to me with that doe. If deer season had been in i could not have fired.
Old 11-05-2008, 06:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have both [actually several of both ] the Red Dots are stuck in a drawer and will stay there. They have several draw backs # 1 is that because they wont work near as well in dim light because you can not see any thing but the dot. # 2 is the dot covers up what you are aiming at a lot worse than cross hairs.
They work ok for quick fire on pistols but in my opinion thats about all. Lee