Community
Black Powder Ask opinions of other hunters on new technology, gear, and the methods of blackpowder hunting.

Groups Question!

Old 10-13-2008, 06:29 AM
Typical Buck

Default Groups Question!

I was happy over all with my group, but I was a little concerned about the first shot.

Sorry I don't have a target pic. My 2nd a 3rd shots were within one inch, one 2" high at 100 and one 3" high at 100 and 1/2" toleft and right, respectively. My first shot was 3" high and 3" left at 100, which I thought was a little strange and I don't think it was me! Is it possible that the flyer was due to the 1st shot from a clean cold barrel? Should I sight-in fora clean cold barrel if that is the case?

T/C Encore 26" bbl, 110 gr BH209, .458 300 gr NP with MMC Orange Sabot, 103 yds measured with rangefinder!

Thanks!
Old 10-13-2008, 09:30 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Groups Question!

Yes it is possible that the clean barrel is causing a difference in your POI. But with the Black Horn 209 powder that seems strange. Although I only tried the powder in two rifles which is hardly a test. All rifles are different.

Some thoughts on Black Horn powder. I shot two pounds of the Black Horn powder and was VERY IMPRESSED with the powder, the accuracy,theway it shot, and the way it cleaned up. Although it did push the grease back, off the breech plug pretty bad. I think it took me longer to clean that area then it ever did. Also cleaning with solvent VS cleaning with soap and water.. solvent is expensive, you have to keep a supply in the house, and on a personal note, strong solvents react to the skin on my hands in a uncomfortable way... Soap and water is all over the house, and easy to remember where it is.

While I got some excellent accuracy with BlackHorn 209 and it seems to have excellent power, I had to ask myself; Is BlackHorn worth the price over say Triple Se7en or Pyrodex, is the fact I can not find it locally a reason to stick with the old stand by powders, am I generating more needed down range power or what I have with the old standby powderplenty, and which has a bigger chance of misfires... Very few have tested this powder in snow and rain conditions...

Were you getting better more consistant groups with a different powder? You might want to try the rifle from that stand point. Or since you are shooting Black Horn Powder.. fowl the barrel with about 40 grains of it. Then hunt with it that way.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

As Cayugad said, yes the clean barrel may shoot differently than a fouled barrel.
I've found this to be a norm. I don't like to foul my barrel(s) simply because I use mostly BP in all of them (Pyrodex in one percussion) and I may go an entire season without getting a shot. And I definately do not want to leave BP fouling in my barrel that long.
Because of this, I sight in with a clean barrel.
I didn't see were you said you swabbed between shots? Did you?
And actually, after re-reading your initial post - You're really not that far off left. And your height is basically identical to your second and third. So try it again and split the difference.

Old 10-13-2008, 11:25 AM
Dominant Buck

One of the advantages of shooting BlackHorn 209 is you do not have to swab. And this claim is true. I fired 20 rounds off in my Knight Disc without a swab. And the accuracy was exceptional.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:33 AM
Fork Horn

Did you let the barrel cool between shots.Some barrels will walk a little the hotter they get. As I beleive in making the first shot count, I always go with the first shot if I have this problem.

Eric
Old 10-13-2008, 11:44 AM
Typical Buck

1) No swabbing between shots and to me thats the advantage of BH209.
2) I also have noticed how much longer it takes for me to clean the breech plug now.
3) I typically use solvents to clean and light coating of #9 oil when I'm done.

I am really not too concerned about the 3" left at 100 yds and the vertical plane appears pretty good. What does it do at 200 yds is a concern! I don't want it to be 6" left at 200 as thats a potential miss or a gut shot and I don't want that. Thanks for your help! I'm going to get out and try it againand also try 200yds just to be sure.